Thought yall might like to see this.....

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by 2kooldad, Aug 21, 2011.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

Feral Beehive near Pine Island, Florida...I've been watching it for 2 years now an finaly got permission to take a few pics....thats a 20'' pine they are on with that owlbox being 2' I'd say its a 4 to 5 foot hive. :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

notice how straight the bottom edges of the natural comb is????

3. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Neat.

tec, you mean aren't?

4. Tia

Tia New Member

Exterior feral hives always astound me! You would think it would be so hard for them to survive.

5. Hawkster

Hawkster New Member

long time lurker but picture was too interesting not to comment, I have not seen a feral hive up here since I was a kid and thats 35 years ago. external hives I have never seen :)

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

mark writes:
    you mean aren't

tecumseh:
    now I ain't so certain as I was before and I decided straight wasn't the right word. the lack of wavey-ness on the bottom edges of the newly constructed hives was what I was referring too originally. a bit of magnification seem to also show lots of drone cells on the outside and newly constructed comb.

7. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

thats what i saw too...lots of drone come outside...really big cells compaired to the bees size....that hive has been there awhile...in the morning its a busy place ;)

8. Hobie

Hobie New Member

:coolphotos:

9. milapostol

milapostol New Member

That is so cool. I always learn something around here. Who knew the bees were willing to have an external hive?

10. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

standen underneth it is pretty cool too.

11. darrenct83

darrenct83 New Member

I think I'd think twice about standing under. That honey is probably getting a little heavier than that poor old house is meant to handle.

12. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

i want it hanging in my living room...minus the bees :/

13. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

That would be a real conversation starter, especially if you brought the bees in, too. After all-you are a beekeeper.:)

14. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

Wouldnt that be something...a big plexa glass observation box on the wall with that sucker in it....i bet youd get lots of visitors....but if it ever fell... :crybye: :club: ....you better give your soul to jesus cause the rest of you aint gonna make it :chased:

15. rast

rast New Member

2KD, Is that hive anywhere near the restaurant/bar there on the corner?

16. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

The "Bayport Inn" yes....its past it about an 8th of a mile on one of the side roads...have you seen it before...its been there awhile...i surveyed the property for the owner...i would just love to find a spot out there to put my hives for the cabbage palm flow...heck all year long would be good there...holy and palmetto...brazillian pepper and mangrove...then the cabbage palms an wildflowers....HEY...speaking of the bayport inn...if you looked at my "help identify these" post...the white bush/wildflower that i havent identified yet is right across the street from that in the ditch/marshline...i was on my way back from taking pics of the hive when i spotted it an pulled over an nabbed the pictures....i am 60% sure its something called throughwart...but a few small things dont match up quite right...further research needed...unless you know what it is an are holding out on me to see if i'll get it right ;)

17. ScoobyDoBee

ScoobyDoBee New Member

I want some of THAT survivor stock!!

Great pic!

18. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

me too....they are in an awsome area....probly why their nest is so big....they are about 20 feet up in the tree....i got the neibor to come with me an take pics....the owner doesnt live there all the time an i guess he's away for awhile....his family lives all around him an i guess they dont live in their houses either cept maybe on the weekends...i just cant ever seem to catch anybody home....so i went walking from door to door till i got somebody an the neibor took me over....im not sure i met the owner even when i surveyed his place...i wanted somebody to come with me that lived there so i had a wittness that i wasnt doing something wrong....he has stuff on his property an the world is a sorry place sometimes...people steal...i just wanted pics so i nabbed a neibor :/

19. rast

rast New Member

Nope never seen it.
    You did right, people can "accidentally" drown in some parts from Bayport to Chass. Even had a TV documentary on drugs coming in there at one time. And Lord help ya if Randy catches you stealing from one of his crab traps.

20. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

The crabbers are a nice lot of fellers....they are all the time assisting some poor guy that accidently fell out of his boat an bumped his head on a crab trap....horrible how those waves just keep bouncing his head against the barnical encrusted cage like that...tsk tsk tsk...people should be more carfull what they do when boating in these waters....the drug runners landed many O planes on centrailia road back in the old days....you dont have to take 19 to get from weekie wachee to hommasassa west of 19....person could get lost in those woods a long time if he wanted to :|