Thoughts and Prayers needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bamabww, Jun 28, 2012.

1. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

A definite setback--I was hoping to hear how he managed that steak. But Ronnie has what it takes. a setback is "merely" a setback. He'll get that bite into perfect order and in due time forget all about the troubles along the way. I guess my prayers need improvement too. I'll keep trying.

2. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

hopefully the docs get it right on the second go-round.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

wayne, some flowers for your brother, best way i know how to send them! :grin:

[​IMG]

4. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

The doctor has told Ronnie it's time to be more aggressive with rehab. He is on crutches now and is trying to put as much weight as possible on the leg without just unbearable pain. Doctor said it would hurt but it was time to strengthen the leg muscles as it begins final healing. The small bone in the lower leg has not healed yet but the big bone in the upper leg has mended back very well. The damaged leg will be at least an inch and a half shorter than normal and they are planning on measuring it on 10-5-12 to build a walking boot for it as rehab continues.

I don't understand that when they had to insert two rods in the leg during original surgery. Why didn't they get it a little closer than an inch and a half then? I don't know.

The oral surgeon, whatever he's called, has taken measurements of his jaws and photos to develop a plan to make the jaws align better. He is consulting a team of doctors in Pittsburg who are supposedly the experts at that and will have their suggestions next month for re-doing his mouth.

Thanks again for remembering him. We're having a BBQ today and he plans to attend.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I haven't forgotten him, to be able to remember him. Ronnie (רונאל יוסף בן צרופה) is with me EVERY day.

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

in actuality one leg is going to be shorter then the other, but not by a inch and 1/2 Wish Ronnie the best of luck with oral surgery, and may his rehabilitation be relative uneventful aside from rapid progress.
    Barry

7. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Ronnie now has a walking shoe to wear while using his crutches. He has been told to put as much weight on the hurt leg as he can stand. He has been given the OK to drive since he's no longer on strong pain medicines. The oral surgeon still has not made a decision on exactly what to do with his jaws to insure they stay straight this time. Ronnie is doing much better and thanks everyone for remembering him during this time. His wife has about gone as far as she can go and will have knee replacement surgery on November 5th. She was scheduled to have it done the week Ronnie had his accident. So please add Jo Ann to your prayer lists.

8. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Here's wishing both of them the best. :)

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Glad to hear that Ronnie can walk and drive. Considering where he was not so long ago, that's great progress. I'm sure the jaw mislignment is very uncomfortable, to say the least, but can he chew solid food? We continue to pray for his continued progress and full recovery.
    Will add Jo Ann to my list.

10. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

[h=5]Update from Ronnie White: Ronnie told me yesterday that the therapist who has been working with him since July said his leg would never progress / get any better than it is right now. For awhile she could see marked improvement but nothing the last 3 weeks. She is preparing paperwork for Ronnie to carry to his doctor that did the surgery to declare him disabled to return to work. That was not what Ronnie was hoping to hear / or happen. He was hoping to come back to work. So please remember him and his wife, Jo Ann, in your prayers again.

He goes this Wednesday for surgery on his jaws. The plan is to re-break his jaws, realign his teeth and wire his mouth shut for 5 weeks. He will spend Wednesday night in Huntsville hospital and return home on Thursday.

Jo Ann was scheduled to have knee replacement the week of Ronnie's accident. She postponed it then but it is tentatively scheduled for next week.[/h]

11. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

We'll continue to keep him in our thoughts and prayers.

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Thanks for the update Wayne. They will be in my thoughts as well.

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

We're with both of them and pray for a quick and full recovery.

14. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Surgery went as planned. Ronnie could already talk better (clearer) even through clenched teeth. They are going to try a "sippy" cup instead of a straw this time to get liquids into his mouth, especially early on, to prevent the jaws from being moved. The biggest concern / danger is him getting sick at his stomach and actually vomiting with his mouth wired shut.
    If all goes as planned overnight, he will come home Thursday (November 1) and will keep the wires in place for 5 weeks.

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Looking ahead at five weeks seems like along time, but just like the time has flown by since the original accident, this too will fly by and we look forward to hearing that Ronnie's jaw will be as good as new. Hang on, we're with you all the way. Just wait till you're chomping away on that delicious steak.....everyone is going to celebrate that.
    Now we're pulling for Jo Ann. Before you know it, she'll be walking again painlessly. :grin:

16. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks for the update Wayne, just made any annoyances I had today seem insignificant in comparison. I will most certainly not take for granted my freedom of simply opening my mouth to take food today. My mother had jaw surgery when I was a teen. I remember having to help blend her food for those weeks. I worked at a restaurant where she came in ordered lasagna. It was humorous to watch the cook have to destroy her masterpiece by blending the lasagna to a consistency to drink. Praying for an even faster recovery...

17. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Update on Ronnie:
    The papers have been filed to place him on medical discharge / disability retirement at work so we'll see how that goes. His face is still swollen and his jaws still hurt. But the dental surgeon is checking it every 5 days and everything is still in place. They are thinking that using a straw last time may have been the culprit in his mouth not lining back up right. They have his mouth pulled much closer together now, in fact the teeth are touching. He's tired of using the sippy cup but it's his only way to drink / eat. They have changed his pain medicine from tablets to a liquid that can be shot into his mouth using a syringe.

Jo Anne will have surgery to replace her knee on the 15th.

18. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

We'll keep them both in our prayers.

I'll update the congregation on Sunday. Actually, "congregation" is a little "over the top". Our attendance varies between 13 to 20 people...but we're enthusiastic! :thumbsup:

Walt

19. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Ronnie has rubber bands in place of wires now. The wires have been removed and replaced with rubber bands so he can open his mouth and chew. After a week of chewing, his mouth will be examined again and if his bite is still correct, they will remove the hardware from his mouth for good. He told me the first thing he ate was a hamburger, the first real food he had eaten since the accident last June. Can't eat a steak yet but soon hopefully. He can walk now with the aid of a cane and with a noticeable limp. But he has mobility and the pain is more bearable now, so he's counting his blessings for being alive and able to walk.

His wife can walk without the aid of crutches after having a knee replaced. So they are both much better and very thnakful for all of your thoughts and prayers. I thank you as well. You are a very caring group of people and I will always be appreciative of your concern and support during this recovery period. May God bless you all is my prayer. Thanks very much.

20. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I'm glad they're progressing, and will continue pulling for their recovery!