Thoughts and Prayers needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bamabww, Jun 28, 2012.

1. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Update 3-8-2013:
    Ronnie got his first disability pension check from GE today and a promise of back pay to 1-1-2013. SS disability won't be reviewed until June or July he was told. He was very happy to be "on his own" again. We gave him a "going away, retirement party this past Wednesday at work and he was able to tell everyone good bye. He really enjoyed seeing his old workmates again. Again I thank each and every one of you for you thoughts, prayers and encouragement.

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Thoughts and prayers won't stop because of his retirement! :)

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

How are Ronnie's new teeth? Can he chew regular food? Has Ronnie been able to eat that first steak? How is his walking coming along. And for good measure my last question for now. How is JoAnn managing?

4. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

No new teeth yet. He is just tired of going to doctors and doesn't want to face another surgery, even to fix his teeth, right now. Hasn't eaten a steak yet. He walks with a cane and a noticeable limp. Doctors told him it may be 3 or 4 years before the nerve damage in his leg repairs itself / stops hurting if ever.

JoAnn is doing great. Her knee is well and she's doing almost everything she wants to do. Thanks for asking.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

My prayers for his recovery will continue till that steak has made history. :grin:

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

wayne, was thinking of you and your brother ronnie, how are things going for him?

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Good for you RB--you beat me to the question.
    Wayne, it's time for an update.

8. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Ronnie is better, overall. He has given up on having surgery on his mouth. He said he's had enough surgery for now. His leg still hurts and the doctors told him the nerve pain will continue for 3 or 4 years and may never heal because of the trauma the leg went through. The small bone in the lower leg still has not healed completely. He can't walk without a cane and has ordered some boots with a built up heel for more ankle support.

Somehow, even though the surgeons put a rod in the upper leg from 2 inches below his pelvis to 2 inches above the knee and a rod in the lower leg, from 2 inches below his knee to 2 inches above his ankle, the hurt leg turned out to be 1 & 1/2 inches shorter than the good leg. So he walks with a limp even with a built up shoe. He said each step feels like he's stepping in a hole. The therapist said that sensation would eventually go away as he gets more at ease with the built up shoe.

The surgeons have suggested cutting an 1 & 1/2 inches out of the good leg to remedy the walking problem. Of course Ronnie refused that offer. He's going to the grandkid's ballgames and school functions now so he's resumed as much an active life as possible with his limitations. He has been approved for a disability pension from his employer and has recieved a SS disabilty pension as well. So financially he is doing ok. Thanks for asking, I really appreciate it and your continual remembrance of him.

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

wayne thanks for posting an update, i appreciate it. your brother has been through a great deal of life changing events, and more than that.

"Thanks for asking, I really appreciate it and your continual remembrance of him."

wayne, your welcome, and i haven't forgotten and probably never will.......:grin:
    cool part of this forum, some great members, like yourself, who share personal struggles and tragedies, and without question, our remembrance and our support is there, and always will be, whether we say so or not. for myself, i have thought of him often, and wondered, so, i just wanted to ask. just the way i am.

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Is Ronnie entertaining any thoughts about that steak? I certainly hope he hasn't given up on the idea. Maybe the family should celebrate the anniversary of his having been saved with a nice juicy barbecue? June 27th is almost around the corner.

11. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Almost a year now (June 27th) and Ronnie has made great improvements. He can walk normally now with the aid of a cane or one crutch. His leg still aches constantly and one bone has not mended in his lower leg. He is still not sure about the oral surgery that is required to fix his teeth but I feel like he will eventually get it done. I keep reminding him of Ef's desire to hear of him eating a steak.

He is doing things a retired grandfather does: attending the grandkids ballgames, school functions and working in his wife's flower garden. He and JoAnn are currently on a two week long (or longer) vacation. They drove from Alabama to the coast via Virginia and are now in Maine. They are taking their time and are planning on coming back thru the mid west enroute back home sometime next week. In fact he has come full circle. I got the following picture from him the other day labeled simply: My new bike. Thanks again for all of your thoughts, prayers and well wishes. ​

Attached Files:

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I guess it's "Once a biker, always a biker.' Are they using this new bike for their long distance travels?

13. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

No, they are in a Ford Explorer. He had to get a thumb shifter on the bike because his ankle is stiff and he couldn't shift the gears with it.