Thread Avatars

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by Charles, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Charles

Charles New Member

When your looking at the threads in a forum now it will show the original posters avatar instead of that boring little envelope icon :) I noticed most folks are using avatars and the avatar being shown in chat was such a big hit I added to the forums.

A fix for Internet Explorer

IE9 and up should be fixed now. If your Thread Avatars don't look like this:

readunread.png

Then Click this button on your browser:

iefixavatars.png

You should now be viewing the icons as they were meant to be shown. I tested in IE9, if your using an older version than that and can't get them to work then you should turn this feature off. Your browser is too old and insecure :)

What does everything mean?

readunread.png

I'm using you as an example Perry :) In the picture above it shows the difference between a read and unread post. The top is unread, it has a much clearer picture, the thread title is in bold font, and there is a small blue icon that links to the last post in the thread.

"Hot Topics" where there have been more than 15 posts are shown with a blue glow around the avatar as seen in the top post of the picture above.

If you have posted in the thread then your own avatar will be in the lower right corner of the thread avatar. (not shown in the picture above)

I don't like it and want to change it back.

I know there are some folks that dislike avatars and shut them off in the control panel. If you would rather not view thread avatars and want the old envelope icons back then go here:
    Settings->General Settings->Thread Display Options->Disable Thread Avatars (change to yes and save)

That's it, enjoy and post any questions here or PM for assistance.

Charles

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I just noticed...very nice! I like it!

3. vermillion

vermillion New Member

I like it too! I also like the teeny weeny version of my own avatar if I have posted in a thread... thats pretty cool! :cool:

Thanks for all the hard work.

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Very nice Charles. All that's missing is a more personal Avatar for yourself. I'm surely not the only one who would like to be able to identify the man behind the smooth working of the forum. :wink:

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

OK, I went into my control panel and turned off the avatars. The ones on individual posts that you just added are still there. How do I turn them off?

6. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Will we still be able to tell which threads we posted in without opening the thread? There used to be a green indicator letting us know which threads we posted in.

7. Charles

Charles New Member

Hehe I'm camera shy...I'll see if I can find something

I already know your feelings on avatars Iddee, I'll have a control panel switch for that soon...

Yes, there is a little version of your own avatar in the lower right corner of the thread avatar if you have posted in the thread.

8. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Like Chevy Chase said in Modern Problems: Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Like It!

9. Zulu

Zulu Member

I like too

10. Charles

Charles New Member

I updated the original post above to show

1. How to fix the Internet Explorer bug
    2. Give a small explanation of what your seeing
    3. Teach you how to turn this option off

Enjoy...

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

ef said:
    " I'm surely not the only one who would like to be able to identify the man behind the smooth working of the forum."

charles is the guy that plugs us back in when iddee trips over the server cord.....:to_keep_order::rotfl:

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Charles said:
    "If your Thread Avatars don't look like this:"
    [​IMG]
    "Then Click this button on your browser:"

PerryBee says: "If your avatar looked that good, why would you want to change it?" :mrgreen:

Charles said: "I'm using you as an example Perry :smile:"

PerryBee says: "Careful now, last time that happened it was as a bad example!" :lol:

13. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

lol perry.....
    riverbee says perry's user name should go back to 'good lookin'......or would that be 'bad lookin'?!.....

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

How bout bein' good at lookin' bad?

15. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

like it iddee :lol::rotfl: !

16. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Avatar ? Avatar ??? Wasn't he one of Genghis Khan's relatives ? .:???:

Nice addition.... Charles. .:smile:

It should be handy for those of us who have just moved on from comic books. .:grin:

It may be useful for viewers who don't have english as a first language. :thumbsup:

One GREAT plus is that we will see more images of Nova Scotian Facial Fungus. .:roll::roll:

17. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:lol: :rolling: :rotfl::mrgreen:

18. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

iddee:
    "OK, I went into my control panel and turned off the avatars. The ones on individual posts that you just added are still there. How do I turn them off? "
    charles:
    "I already know your feelings on avatars Iddee, I'll have a control panel switch for that soon..."

i have to ask iddee, why you don't like avatars? you won't be able to appreciate perry's 'facial fungus' or see that me and gx3's avatars are upside down :lol:

19. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sorry, riverbee, but a public explanation, with a few examples, would really upset some members. Let's just say the actual photo avatars that are clear enough to see plainly don't bother me. It's the abstract and miniature details of some that I don't care for

20. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

thanks iddee, it was not my intention to put you on the spot, and i understand, i was curious! :grin: