Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy crap, after a super mild winter and a couple HOT spells in the 70's and 80's in March and April here in northern illinois my carny queened hive swarmed on Apr 24th, 8 days ago. Pictures above. Captured it no problem, and been feeding quarts of 1:1 so they can build out the wax foundation fast. A quart a day! Thirsty girls :)

Then 3-4 days later. Another swarm. Same same, feeding a quart a day. Seem healthy and busy enough.

Today, darned if there isint another large clump. No other hives around me, and in my yard, gotta be mine again. I went from 1 to 4 hives in a week. Im going broke buying hive hardware LOL. Giving one hive to a friend who has 2 already.

What the heck. Is this normal? I checked all 3 other hives and they're busy and seem healthy and taking care of business.

I have 2 supers on my original hive. Should I pull these off? cant imagine the hive is strong enough anymore to give me honey. I have 4 hives and will have no honey this year I guess?

Interesting note. I have 20+ fruit trees. Each time they swarmed they picked a different pear tree, 2 std pears and 1 asian pear. maybe coincidence but I thought it strange with plenty other trees around. They like pears :)

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Don't give up so easily on the honey. I have split a hive, caught 4 swarms off it, then got a super of honey. Check it and keep plenty of workspace on them. You may get honey yet.

This is an exceptional swarm year. I got maybe 6 swarms last year, and already have gotten about 40 this year, and missed a dozen or more. Our swarmyist month is May.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really? Thats great news thank you! So Ill keep the supers on and then just feed that hive real good in the fall after I pull the supers. Shoudl I put a super on the swarm hives too? They are starting with foundation and have 20 frames to build out. Will they have time to do that and then fill a super. Our nectar flow is done in early June around here, mostly.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Add a super when 17 or 18 frames are drawn and covered in bees.

I hope you aren't feeding in a way that the old hive can get to it. You want nectar honey, not sugar honey. Also, stop feeding the swarms before adding supers. Same reason.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im using boardman feeders. How do I keep the old hive out of the candy store in the other hives? entrance reducer cut down blocking anything but the far end of the hive opening?

Right, I never feed with supers on. Flow is on around here so do i need to feed the new hives at all? Or can I just let them do their thing naturally now?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts