THREE!!! Afterswarms and counting!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Jimdo64, May 1, 2012.

1. Jimdo64

Jimdo64 New Member

Holy crap, after a super mild winter and a couple HOT spells in the 70's and 80's in March and April here in northern illinois my carny queened hive swarmed on Apr 24th, 8 days ago. Pictures above. Captured it no problem, and been feeding quarts of 1:1 so they can build out the wax foundation fast. A quart a day! Thirsty girls :)

Then 3-4 days later. Another swarm. Same same, feeding a quart a day. Seem healthy and busy enough.

Today, darned if there isint another large clump. No other hives around me, and in my yard, gotta be mine again. I went from 1 to 4 hives in a week. Im going broke buying hive hardware LOL. Giving one hive to a friend who has 2 already.

What the heck. Is this normal? I checked all 3 other hives and they're busy and seem healthy and taking care of business.

I have 2 supers on my original hive. Should I pull these off? cant imagine the hive is strong enough anymore to give me honey. I have 4 hives and will have no honey this year I guess?

Interesting note. I have 20+ fruit trees. Each time they swarmed they picked a different pear tree, 2 std pears and 1 asian pear. maybe coincidence but I thought it strange with plenty other trees around. They like pears :)

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Don't give up so easily on the honey. I have split a hive, caught 4 swarms off it, then got a super of honey. Check it and keep plenty of workspace on them. You may get honey yet.

This is an exceptional swarm year. I got maybe 6 swarms last year, and already have gotten about 40 this year, and missed a dozen or more. Our swarmyist month is May.

3. Jimdo64

Jimdo64 New Member

2012-04-24_19-35-53_609.jpg 2012-04-24_19-36-10_538.jpg 2012-04-26_19-10-48_695.jpg 2012-05-01_19-13-27_452.jpg 2012-05-01_19-21-43_410.jpg

Swarms 1, 2 and 3. If they go for 4 Im out of hardware.

4. Jimdo64

Jimdo64 New Member

Really? Thats great news thank you! So Ill keep the supers on and then just feed that hive real good in the fall after I pull the supers. Shoudl I put a super on the swarm hives too? They are starting with foundation and have 20 frames to build out. Will they have time to do that and then fill a super. Our nectar flow is done in early June around here, mostly.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Add a super when 17 or 18 frames are drawn and covered in bees.

I hope you aren't feeding in a way that the old hive can get to it. You want nectar honey, not sugar honey. Also, stop feeding the swarms before adding supers. Same reason.

6. jim314

jim314 New Member

Welcome Jimdo, and congrats on the swarms :)

7. Jimdo64

Jimdo64 New Member

Im using boardman feeders. How do I keep the old hive out of the candy store in the other hives? entrance reducer cut down blocking anything but the far end of the hive opening?

Right, I never feed with supers on. Flow is on around here so do i need to feed the new hives at all? Or can I just let them do their thing naturally now?

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I am putting one half gallon jar on a newly caught swarm, then they are on their own.