Three Colonies Combined

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by JPthebeeman, Sep 22, 2012.

1. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Thanks JP. I learn something every time I watch one of your videos. I never realized you could do a "combine" by just letting the bees decide to do it on their own. :thumbsup:

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Like Perry said, I didn't realize that they would combine themselves like that. Great video, as always. Thanks for posting it.

4. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Always a pleasure. When we were thinking of becoming beekeepers, we watched many of your videos...one of our learning tools. They are informative and enjoyable. Thanks for posting.

5. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

I regret that I didn't have more footage of the actual combine. Forgive me as it was early Sunday and I was using my iphone so no tripod there. To say they combined themselves is a little far from what actually transpired. This is more how it went down: the cut out hive in the deep was/is on the bottom. (I lightly smoked all three before combining) placed the caged queen on a frame in the bottom set up along with a few frames they had begun to draw out and then shook them atop the queenless cut out hive. I then added a harvested medium super with ten frames of drawn comb and then shook the queenless swarm atop that. Puffed some more smoke for good measure.

At that point all three colonies were getting the message with a small minority hanging out in the cardboard box and the nuc. I did have to shake the nuc a few more times as well as the cardboard box to facilitate the process.

In time and with some babysitting and intervention on my part the combine was accomplished.

So to answer your question, no they did not simply combine themselves, although there is a possibility it could have happened but probably not very likely. I needed to show them the way.

...JP

6. Big Bear

Big Bear New Member

I'm curious, I have used a shake method to introduce queens to colonies gone queen-less by shaking the bees onto a sheet in front of the hive and placing the new queen inside. All the bees now outside begin to move into hive via the sheet and take to the new queen with no apparent trouble. I have toyed with using the same method to combine colonies but haven't done it yet.

In theory, I figure it should work. Too often though, my theories and the bees theories don't match up.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:thumbsup: :lol:

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Big bear, that is the way I combine a small queenless hive with a large one, sans the sheet. I just shake the small hive bees out in front of the large one and carry the empty hive to the house. The bees go into the large hive with no problem.