Three weeks in and all is well

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Papakeith, May 19, 2012.

1. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Week three inspection is complete and my two hives are firing on all cylinders.

Here's one of the frames

third inspection.jpg

Each hive had done well enough in the last three weeks that we chose to put the second deep hive body on each hive.
    Tomorrow I meet up with a number of local beekeepers for a class on making splits.

After today I've decided to give the hive a break from me. So, aside from feeding I'm gonna let them be for the next two weeks. When I check on them again I think I should be seeing some hatched/hatching brood or at least be very close to that event.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

All the brood that is capped now will emerge within the next 11 days, so in two weeks you will have all new capped brood.

3. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Once the first bees emerge won't it be an ongoing process; new bees every day? Assuming of course that once the queen started laying that she ramped right up to 1k+eggs daily.

Conceivably I could see 40 thousand new bees every 6 weeks right?

As they emerge, can I expect the population to really spike over the next month or so? Or, will it be countered by the workers that are at the end of their life cycle and the fact that the space the queen would need to lay that many eggs hadn't been created yet.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The bees emerging today may be dead within 6 weeks. It is an ongoing thing. She will lay as many as they want her to. They can make the space if there is flow enough to warrant it.