Tides in Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by PerryBee, Jun 8, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

These pictures are taken about 5 minutes from where I live. This is a tidal river that connects to the Bay of Fundy.
    These tides happen twice a day, so you have a low tide and a high tide every 6 hours. Amazing to see the difference. You can actually watch the tide come in and out.
    In some areas up here they have "tidal bore rafting", where they take you out in a rubber boat and you can ride the biggest wave of the tide, "the bore", in.
    There was a guy there today fishing for striped bass and eel.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Do you have flounder that far north? Looks like it would be good flounder gigging.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Those are some pretty neat pictures. OOOOO, Iddee, I like flounder! I had flounder for the first time while living in Cherry Grove area of North Myrtle Beach in SC one summer...gooooooooood eatin!

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I know we had flounder on the South Shore (Lunenburg) but I don't know if they would be up in the tidal rivers. This water is so muddy it's hard to believe there are any fish in it.

5. jim314

jim314 New Member

That is pretty amazing that there can be that much difference in just a short while. And that it happens over and over again.

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Is that one of the seven natural wonders of the world? That's pretty amazing, ay!

7. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Beautiful! Originally from Massachusetts The northeast coast is amazing. So traditional.

8. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I saw this a while back think its so cool...
    [video=youtube_share;OP0cpXpw8yk]http://youtu.be/OP0cpXpw8yk[/video]

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hall's Harbour is 20 minutes away, best ice cream around sold there :thumbsup: :mrgreen:
    I have someone that is going to let me keep as many hives as I want on West Halls Harbour Road on a large acreage of fallow land. I am not sure what winters will be like there but the summers should be good, no bears on the North Mountain.

10. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Just make sure you place them during high tide...lol

11. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

The river Thames in London is a tidal river as well. How's that for some trivia?:roll:

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

cool photos perry, i always like to see pictures of places i have never been.
    perry said: "no bears on the North Mountain."
    you don't know what you are missing perry......:rotfl:

13. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Great video... That is so cool! I'm impressed by the sailors who can tie off to the non-floating pier in the background and not end up hanging from the dock lines, or floating into the adjacent boat.

I tried to visit the Bay of Fundy on a bicycle tour back in the late '80's. I was there just as Hurricane Bob hit, and it poured rain the day we were to hike to watch the tide come in, so it was cancelled due. Bummer!