Time Cover Story

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Yankee11, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Thanks for posting that. I think I'll try and find a copy. Who would have ever thought the honey bee would make the cover of Time Magazine? (even if for all the worst reasons) :sad:

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

It wont be out till August 19th So a week Monday. Need to remember to bump this post next Sunday as a reminder. Thanks for the heads up about the story.

4. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I started to read the cover story of Time magazine while sitting in the dentist's office today. I didn't get too far, so I will be looking for it on the news stand. The author did an interview with a beekeeper from New York state that CCD hit very hard. Poor guy went from 6000 colonies to working at Wal-Mart. He still has a few hives, but his dream is lost. Sold his acreage and trying to sell his equipment.
    There was also a "centerfold" explaining the life cycle of the honeybee, describing the drones, workers and queen, what crops are pollinated by honeybees, and so on.

5. BSAChris

BSAChris New Member

You can read it online in full now - not for free of course, but I think its something like $3.99 or thereabouts to get the whole issue online. A good option for those of us with "need it now" syndrome (which I'm slowly being cured of, by the bees themselves...)

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i have this article, it is a great article, and there is a really cool page in the center of the article that is informative. i have had a number of people give me this issue, and that the center page for them was very informative as was the article. hard to describe the center page, a photo of honey bee with the anatomy explained in simple terms, a honey bee's life and death, describes workers, queens, and drones, the hive, duties and life spans. a couple of dances and some bee facts.

if anyone would like a copy of this for your personal use, i would be willing to send it to you in color. i know i can't post it here, copyright issues. just send me a p.m.
    mods....is this okay?

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I just read the article after arriving here at my father in laws place in California (often times referred to by me as the land of fruits and nuts). The article seems fairly well composed and to my way of thinking even handed. Of course some of the details would not have passed by me if I had been reviewing the article.

As i have suggested before i do not totally buy into the hypothesis expressed by the title of the article. On page 30 Tim Tucker VP of ABF at least touches on what I suspect is at least one small part of the problem.

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

would just like to add to tec's post.....what tec said, and i don't buy into the hypothesis either as he said, but, overall a good article.

fruits and nuts you say tecumseh? enjoy your fruity nutty stay in cali-for-nyia.....:grin:

9. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

This should be out tomorrow. i am gonna pick up a copy.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Thanks riverbee. These short vacations and often times heated debates with my very much intellectually enhanced ninety plus year old father in law are always enjoyable and we do get to enjoy a good deal of the locally grown fruits and vegetables.

as to the 'flavor' of the Times article.... I would suggest our current problem has more to do with long term economic factors and poorly considered cultural practice (or most simply poor decision making) than anything else. As the article states we can replace the bees but replacing the folks that understand bees (in the most pragmatic sense of the term) will be an extremely difficult task.

I reject the idea that anyone can make a good decision based on fear. As to the individual beekeeper highlighted in the article.....I can compose a much more likely set of reasons for the individual problems than those suggested by the article < I do routinely employ the rational od occum's razor when it comes to these sorts of problem.

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I enjoyed reading the article (in spite of a few factual errors) but was disappointed by not finding a recommendation that more "back-yard nature lovers" get involved in beekeeping as at least a partial solution to the problem.