Time for another honey super?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Larus, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Larus

Larus New Member

One of my hives has almost filled up their first medium super with honey. I checked it yesterday night. Twelve days ago, this super had only undrawn wax foundation. As of yesterday, they have filled all 10 frames with honey, but currently 90 - 98% is uncapped. In the center frames, some of the cells have fresh caps on them - it looks like the bees are just now starting to cap them.
    Would this be a good time to add a second super, or should I wait until most of the cells in the first super are capped off (I read "80% capped" somewhere)? If the latter, how many more days should I wait before checking again? I don't want to wait too long and have the bees start thinking about swarming.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes, I would add a super. It takes four frames of nectar to make a frame of honey. If they can't spread it out, it won't evaporate and condense down to honey. They need the work space.

If it is 80% plus capped, do a shake test and harvest it if it passes.

3. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Thanks for this Iddee; the idea of needing extra space while it evaporates is a forehead slapper for me; Having made maple syrup I should know how it would slow things having only a one gallon evaporator compared to 40. I had rather been thinking that if given much extra space the bees would scatter honey hither and yon and not cap off any: might have to make some more supers!

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yep add it, sounds like your flow is in full swing.

5. Larus

Larus New Member

Thanks for the advice. I added another super on July 8th (yesterday). Some of the frames were 40 - 50% capped - those girls have been busy.
    The flow is in full swing - there's clover everywhere, birdsfoot trefoil, thistle, milkweed, some asters. The bees are working overtime. The down side is that all that surplus honey stores are making them defensive. I used to be able to work them without smoke and without gloves - they just crawled over my fingers and totally ignored me. Now they turn my hands into pincushions the minute I take off the inner cover - I have to wear gloves AND smoke them.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I have never, and will never, work bees without smoke. No veil, no shirt, no shoes, YES. No smoke, NO!!