Time lapse for queen introduction

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Jun 19, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

When I have done a split or made up a nuc, it has been my practice to leave the "new" colony queenless for 24 hours, the idea being they will more readily accept the introduced queen. I only do this as it is what I have read and been taught (mentor). I have also read that it does not really matter all that much. Does anyone have any experience, bad or good on this matter?

2. Murrell

Murrell New Member

I've read that in 4 hrs the colony knows it is Queen less, and will start making preperations for a new Queen ???

I'd have to try and find it to give a reference though.

Those Nucs I have made up, I to also waited about 24 hrs.

Murrell

3. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

I am glad that this info was revealed, as I was unaware of it...It will help others, it's true. Anything that helps a split accept a new queen is a great thing.
    LtlWilli

4. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

I have noticed a change in the sound and behavior in 15 minutes. I usually wait until I am finished with my last hive of 40 and go back to put a new lady in. I think at Dr. Larry Connor's class it was an hour just to be sure.

5. rast

rast New Member

It can also depend on the makeup of the split/nuc. If there are larva in it young enough they may start producing their own queen in less than 24 hrs and ignore a queen in a cage.