Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I have done a split or made up a nuc, it has been my practice to leave the "new" colony queenless for 24 hours, the idea being they will more readily accept the introduced queen. I only do this as it is what I have read and been taught (mentor). I have also read that it does not really matter all that much. Does anyone have any experience, bad or good on this matter?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've read that in 4 hrs the colony knows it is Queen less, and will start making preperations for a new Queen ???

I'd have to try and find it to give a reference though.

Those Nucs I have made up, I to also waited about 24 hrs.

Murrell

·
Registered
231 Posts
I am glad that this info was revealed, as I was unaware of it...It will help others, it's true. Anything that helps a split accept a new queen is a great thing.
LtlWilli

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have noticed a change in the sound and behavior in 15 minutes. I usually wait until I am finished with my last hive of 40 and go back to put a new lady in. I think at Dr. Larry Connor's class it was an hour just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It can also depend on the makeup of the split/nuc. If there are larva in it young enough they may start producing their own queen in less than 24 hrs and ignore a queen in a cage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts