Beekeeping Forums banner

Time you want back

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  the kid 
#1 ·
G3's post about his finger got me thinking about my two stumps. I lost my fingers to a hay grinder fourteen years ago this Thanksgiving. I did everything the right way and still had an accident and all I've ever been able to about do is grin and say "Boy... I'd like to have that one little piece of time back." Since I really didn't do anything wrong I probably wouldn't do it different but I'd sure like a chance. :mrgreen:
Tell us about a moment in time that you'd do just about anything to have back...

#2 ·
I know what you mean about being careful around machinery. My old square baler has come mighty close two times on getting som fingers. There are some really close pinch points and you need to watch where you put hands and fingers. There is so much moving around it is hard to watch.

The one time was when I was fishing tournaments and missed a birthday party for one of the girls, she has never let me forget it either.

Sorry to hear of your fingers CP.

#4 ·
How about trying to miss a rabbit?

The temp was about 32 F. and drizzling rain. I was in my Volkswagen going home from work. Doing 70 plus on the interstate. A small object in the road seemed minor, so I was going to straddle it. Just before I got to it, it took off. I jerked the wheel. Going down the highway at 70, upside down and backward in a Volkswagen, with sparks flying 6 inches from my head, is no fun at all. Luckily, it rolled back up onto 4 wheels and I came out with only a minor cut, requiring no stitches.

#8 ·
I don't know that I have had incidents like you guys, thank goodness. But there is many a time I wish I could roll back the clock so I would know to keep my big mouth shut. It happens in a split second too. I have said many things that I wish I could take back. I always think I will be wiser next time.

#9 ·
My father has been dead now for about 10 years.

Back about 1985 he and my mom passed thru on their way to the Rio Grand valley and he decided he want to assist in mowing the pastures. I told him that repair on the old equipment was getting high and that he could mow but he needed to stay in the pastures. He mowed a while then decided that a creek need clearing out and got the old Ford throughly stuck.

I saw him come walking back up the hill and went to meet him where he informed me that the tractor was stuck. I made a mistake in that I took it personal, got mad at my dad and with jaw tightly jacked told him I would go and get the tractor unstuck.

It was so far down in the ditch that I could step straight onto the deck. I started the old Ford up, punched it into first gear and it went no where. I punched it into reverse and in 1 nanosecond was upside down with the tractor right on my chest and the tractor still running with one back tire right in my face. Luck for me was the Ford was a diesel and didn't run for long and didn't burn.

I do wish that I could take back those few moments when I was lividly mad at my father.

#10 ·
I have both the tendancy to run my mouth when I shouldn't and the tendancy to act out of anger(although I'm getting much better about the second as I age... first one not so much...)
One shining example of both: I was engaged to a lovely young thing in my early twenties. We had a long distance relationship for a while after her family moved from "just down the road" to Idaho. After a little spat over minor stuff two weeks before the wedding, she called me to make up. I was't entirely sure that it was her as she called at an odd hour and in emotion her voice sounded a little different... and I must admit that a small part of me wanted to be a real jerk about it... so I asked, "who is this?". She hung up.
I didn't hear from her for another five years and by then we were both married to someone else. :roll:

#11 ·
The young man working on installing the air con in shop was apologizing for not getting the central heat and air finished up this weekend. His dad had drove up from texas to celebrate his 60th birthday with is son. I thought for awhile and then said that is the best thing you could have done. I told him not only did my dad Passed away 3 years ago I also lost not only my dad but my life long best friend that day and I would give anything and everything I have if I could turn back time and spend one more birthday with him.

#18 ·
awww, y'all are so sweet! :) I kept on feeling worse all week long, can't even get comfortable to sleep at night. My sweet hubby took me to the doctor today who says I strained all the muscles in my neck and back. I heard that and thought "well no wonder it hurts so darned bad!" I'm sure I'll be right as rain in no time, Little Man is going to get looked at tomorrow cuz his neck and shoulders still hurt. Amazing what kind of pain you feel from a head on crash at around 50 mph!

Iddee, thanks for the number! Troy will be giving him a call as soon as we figure out all the insurance nonsense. Boy that is an industry ripe for overhauling!!

#19 ·
Mama Beek,
Sorry I didn't see your posts sooner as I haven't been on in a few days. My prayers are with you and your family as you heal.
CAUTION!!! alot of the serious back and neck injuries from auto accidents take a long time to show up and longer to heal. Insurance adjusters know that and count on you to say you're fine since you think it will get better. That way they don't have to pay for the long term damage. DO NOT settle until everyone is pain free and back to normal. Tell them upfront that you're still in pain and go to the doctor to get it on paper.
My sister had to pay for a back surgery out of pocket. She never had a problem before the accident but she never healed after it. Since she was sure that the pain would go away, the insurance settled and everything afterwards was her problem.

#20 ·
Thanks for the prayers CP, and the information about injuries as well. The first several days I thought it was probably just muscle soreness from being bounced all over the place in the wreck. By Wednesday though I could barely walk and when I sneezed my knees just melted out from under me and the most intense pain I've felt since childbirth hit me right between my hips..... hubby made me go to the doctor the next day.

Several people have told me in the last few days to refuse to settle any part of an insurance claim until we have my back and Little Man's neck all taken care of.....and of course the damage to the truck, but that to us is secondary right now. That sounds like good advice to me, and since we are in limbo between two insurance companies who want to argue awhile I'm not getting in a hurry to get any of it done. It may take longer to settle but I would rather settle with everything well thought out and done properly than get in a hurry anyway.

#21 ·
what you want to watch is the check you get .. don't sign if on the back it says """""" for any and all damages and/or injury known or not known """" they will try to tell you its only for the car ,, but that will be your settlement if you sign the check .. Been there didn't sign the check ... I got hit on the side ( t bone ) pushed about 30 40 feet side ways , then hit a pole .. felt something funny in my back , did'nt think to much of it .. 2 weeks later , back pain ,,( at age 28 ) couldn't lift 5 pounds for over 7 years ,,, then they said " your as good as your going to get "" at 35 thats not what you want to hear .. I did build my self up a bit from there but still feel it .. what you said they told you , thats what they told me almost word for word ..
Mama Beek , and family ,,, we all feel were you are , and are in your corner ,, so you not a lone bee keep ..
now all of you GET BETTER ,,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.