Timing? When to cut out nest and move to hive?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by TexasnewBee, Jan 30, 2012.

1. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

I have a nest in old RR tie that I need to cut out and place in my new box. When is the appropriate time to do this? I assume it is based on avg temperature? Thanks in advance for the help. This is my first beehive. :chased:

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

It would be better if the bees did not need to cluster. The higher you can wait over 50 degrees the better.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Not sure about your area but I would wait until first of May around here, I like for the flow to be started, makes it easier on them IMHO.

4. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

I am not sure how much sooner it warms up here in North Texas than it does in Tennessee? I was hoping maybe sometime in March. Can I judge by observing when certain flowers are blooming or something like that? :confused:

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

somewhere in the spring flow but prior to the time when small hive beetles becoming extremely active. temperature wise I find 60 degrees to be about right... most definitely if it is under 55 just leave them alone for a bit longer.

ps.. I hear reports of pollen coming in up around Denton so anytime now when the day time temperature feels comfortable should do.

6. Robo

Robo New Member

I wait until night time temperatures are in the 40s, pollen is coming in, and the temperature is at least 60 during the removal.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

TNB: I find it difficult to imagine any hive living totally inside a RR tie, unless it is really more like a tree log than a tie. Assuming that the RR tie really limits their space or that maybe they are visible already from the outside, I would suggest to make the transfer as soon as you see the family building new combs. That way, you won't lose their building instincts when the season is telling you "now is the time". In their new home they should continue setting up without interruption.
    Of course, I could be totally off mark if you can't see the combs and they really are totally hidden in the tie. Then you'll really have to follow the weather, the temperature and the flowers as said by those who preceded me.

8. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Thanks for the comments. They are very helpful. I can only see the tip of 1 comb that appears to be at the end of the nest. It is empty. Most of the activity seems to be about 12-18 inches further down the length of the tie. There are a couple of small holes I can see some bees in. One at about 16 inches further down and one about 30 inches or so. I'm guessing the hollow area may be 3-4 ft in length. So it sounds like my best signal will be based on temperature.

9. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Re: Timing? When to cut out nest and move to hive? Comb phot

Here are a couple of photos of the comb that can be seen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]