'Tis the Season...Maple Syrup that is.

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Indiana Dave, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Tapped 25 trees Wednesday night. Collected about 35 gallons of sugar water last night. Then tapped 20 more trees with my oldest daughter. It's really runnin'! Gonna start cookin' down Saturday night. First batch oughtta be done Sunday afternoon/evening. The first batch of the year is always the best! Last year was my first year solo and ended up making about 3 gallons of syrup. Love it on ice cream, oatmeal and pancakes/waffles/french toast (of course). Plus a bottle of it makes a great addtion to a jar of honey to give to landowners who let me hunt on their property. :D

Built a homemade evaporator last year out of a 55 gallon barrel turned on its side on a stand. It was an old fuel oil tank/stand my dad had. Cut/welded a door on the front, attached a stack on the back, cut out the side (top) to fit my pan and welded up angle iron braces to hold the pan in place. The belly is lined with fire bricks. I burn cut up oak pallets that I bring home from work, and man do those things burn HOT!

Looks like this one here.....
    [​IMG]

Wish I could share some syrup with everyone :drinks:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I wish you could too..................... :mrgreen: :coolphotos:

3. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Here's a couple of pics. I'm the cheesy one on the left. :wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I see there is one empty and one full "syrup" jug on the ground in the second photo. Boy, that sugared off fast! ;) :lol: :mrgreen:

5. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Wellllll......I noticed that after I posted it and wondered how many others might take notice as well. Good eyes, Perry! :thumbsup: Truth is the empty JD bottle was homemade wine a buddy of mine made...blackberry. The wine bottle was the only alcohol we had left in the house at the time. It was the back up that night. We usually opt for Crown/Coke or Busch Light (bluegills). Sometimes you gotta play the hand that is being dealt! ;)

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:rotfl:

7. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

You got my mouth watering Dave. Not only for the maple syrup, but for the homemade blackberry wine. :drinks:

8. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Its arunnin' like crazy now. Brought in about 70 gallons last night after work. Should have about 70 more tonight when I get home. Hope to start cooking around 9 tonight and bottling my first batch Sunday afternoon.

9. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Dave, I will trade you a bottle of cane syrup for some of that maple?
    Most likely, if you are used to maple, you would spit out the cane syrup.
    We have been making cane syrup for the last 15 years at my dads'. we get about at 10:1 ratio out of it. 100 gallons of juice makes between 10 and 12 gallons of syrup.
    Robert

10. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Thats not bad!! Wish ours was that good. Here in Indiana, we typically get 40-1 to 50-1 ratio for maple syrup. I would like to try your cane syrup. I'd trade ya a pint for a pint!

11. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

PM me your address and I'll send a bottle that way!
    Robert

12. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Got maple syrup cookin' as I type. Hoping to bottle this evening. If all goes well, I will have your bottle headed your way this week. PM me with your address and I will reciprocate the favor.

13. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

My wife was excited when I told her I was trading maple syrup for cane syrup. I have to admit, I'm looking forward to trying it too!

14. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Tell her not to get real excited. I have a good friend of mine that lives in Columbus, IN and he can not stand it. He says it is like pouring 30 weight oil on pancakes.
    I guess it is what you are raised with. I have always liked it and always will. Try mixing it with some peanut butter and putting that on toast!!
    Told my wife and she got excited, she loves maple syrup. I can use it, but it is so much sweeter than cane syrup to me.
    Robert

15. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

It turned out really good. The first batch of the year usually is the best. Its really light colored as well. 6 pints was all I got out of about 40 gallons of water (sap). Got another batch going last night after bottling. Should be about 9 or 10 pints this time. Will send one from last night your way tomorrow! :)

16. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Gotta love a forum like this when long distance trades happen so easily! :mrgreen:
    Congrats to both of you! :thumbsup:

17. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Mailed out a pint 'jug' of Cruser's fresh Indiana Maple Syrup this afternoon, southbound to the Sunshine State!

18. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Yours went in the mail this morning also, I hope it does not freeze when it gets there!!
    Robert