To add foundation or not?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by WayneW, May 15, 2009.

1. WayneW

WayneW New Member

Hived my package last friday. The queen was out by sunday afternoon. I started them on frames with only wax starter strips.

I looked in today, and the queen is laying like a dang fool!!!!!

The gilrs are working hard and drawing as fast as they can, but i noticed eggs in just about every cell that wasnt being used for honey or pollen.

Will the queen lay SO fast as to run out of room. Should i add a frame or 2 with foundation (wax) to help the workers keep ahead?

Thanks in advance.

2. Tia

Tia New Member

If you don't have any drawn foundation to give them, as much as I hate using foundation in my hives (now that I know it's full of pesticides and other dangerous chemicals), I think I would put in some foundation. Every other frame with starter strips in between. It'll help them draw straighter too.

3. dogsoldier13

dogsoldier13 New Member

you shouldnt disturb that package for a few weeks,but when all but 2 frames are full,add a super,i place drawn comb on every other frame,they jump all over it

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If they are following the strips and drawing straight, the best thing now is let nature work. They will do what is needed for them. What is needed for you is only straight combs.