To feed or Not to feed?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by arkiebee, May 4, 2013.

1. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

We had 80 degree weather here Wednesday (took about 100 8th graders to Silver Dollar City :eek:) and it was snowing on Friday - hasn't snowed here in May in 194 years (according to the weather man) We had cold wet weather move in Thursday and the temps haven't gotten out of the 40s the last 2 days. I know they cluster at 47 degrees. The temps have been in the low to mid 40s today with rain one minute and sun will shine the next. Tomorrow is suppose to be in the 50s maybe 60s, but still rainy - so would it cause a bad problem to give my splits some sugar water? I worry that they don't have enough stores like my big hives have. I gave them honey and pollen and even a pollen patty when I split them 3 weeks ago, but we will have about 3 days of nice weather and 4 days of cold and wet weather. That's the way it has been the last 3 weeks. I have the bee entrance down to a one-bee size anyway. What is your professional opinions????

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You can feed them as long as the sugar water temp is warm. Feed it at 90 to 100 F. And replace it when it cools to the fifties.

3. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

I realize feeding is sometimes necessary. In fact, I may have to start feeding some one to one syrup next week. Dear God, how I hate to feed. To me, it either creates robbing or drowning. On well, every day is not a holiday and every meal is not a banquet.

4. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Think I will then feed tomorrow if the temps warm up and I will wait till after church so I can be home to watch it for robbing - and the forager bees will already be out. I will be sure my bee space is for a one-bee opening and I will probably take it off tomorrow evening - depends on how much they take. I hate to have sugar water on just a few hives and not be there to keep an eye on things. Once you have a good day of rain - or several days of rain - how long does it take for the nectar to recover? I realize it depends on the flower, but ball park??

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

24 hours or less if the wind didn't remove the petals.