to Iddee and all our friend on the east coast

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverrat, Aug 24, 2011.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Batten down the hatches looks like the weather going to get ugly out your way. Just wanted to wish you all luck and may your losses be minimal and you be safe. god speed to you

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Hurricanes are fun, and we need the rain.

Of course, I'm 225 miles inland. :thumbsup: :p

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Talked to my sister in Maryland yesterday, after the earthquake. Asked her what the devil is going on with earthquakes and hurricanes. :shock:

She said they were hoping Irene's rain would be enough to put out the fire in the Dismal Swamp. I think she said it's been burning since June.

And to everyone in Irene's path, what RR said, be safe!

Walt

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Fire in a swamp. What next? I'm really afraid we have finally reached the Earth's tipping point, and no one is willing to believe it.

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I don't like hurricanes, tropical storms, or anything else that comes with lots of wind. We do need the rain though so I will do my best not to complain. We are about an hour and 45 minutes inland....or just short of halfway to Iddee from the beach. Papa Beek and the boys are going to tie down the hives tomorrow and finish trimming dead limbs from the trees around the house. Hopefully it will stay off the coast and we won't have to deal with it.

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

Too far in land to truly be worried but did check the chainsaw, as last time i lost a tree and helped my neighbors with two others.

When Isobel hit Richmond a few years back friends were locked into their yard by over a dozen trees down. Took him and neighbors a week to have car access. Also no power for that time too.

7. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Brings to mind "Rita". We were living in Belton TX at the time. I was working in the yard on Saturday morning and couple walked by and said they were the first "refugees" from Houston. :eek:

We welcomed them, and everyone else stuck at the Presby church evacuation site (some were on their second evacuation, the first being Katrina), to our yard and gardens for relaxation...and maybe a beer. :drinks:

It was an active afternoon, and that evening we had a wine and cheese party for everybody who wanted. Here's a question, "In an evacuation, do you normally bring Amoretto?" Anyway...

I ran over to the church, about 50 yards away...and we were never struck by lightening, to make sure they'd keep the doors open until all the participants had returned. :roll:

They all went back on Sunday, but I, obviously, have fond memories of "lightening the load" for them...a little bit.

Walt

8. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Did all y'all make it through Irene OK?

Walt

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I ain't seen Irene. She didn't come by me.

10. riverrat

riverrat New Member

dang I hate to see a man get stood up all dressed up and no where to go :thumbsup: :yahoo:

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yeah, and I was expecting a really wild ride. Total disappointment.

12. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Yeh, I'd hate to be stood up like that, too. :D

Walt

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I guess the New England crowd is the next group we need to be concerned with... how is 'u' yankee bee keepers doin'?

did I ever mention that long ago I steered a US Navy destroyer thru a tropical depression... located somewhere in the Bermuda Triangle. Now that was a ride that made every carnival ride before or after seem a bit wimpy.

14. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

Now THAT would be a wild ride....how does a canoe like that handle in the dark an breezy....bet the mop an bucket crew was busy....seriuosly though....id bet the doc was busy too...a big metal ship being tossed around in that kinda water...thats gotta come with a broken bone or two an some bloody noses...the Atlantic is no joke when shes upset.

We didnt get much from the hurricane out this way....just some rain an a nice breeze :/

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

2kool writes:
    bet the mop an bucket crew was busy....seriuosly though....id bet the doc was busy too

tecumseh:
    nope they was all hangin' there heads and lookin' real green. the captain was in much the same pose. actually in the worst of the blow there was only two of us (in a compliment of about 150 men) that was standing... myself and one officer. I manned the helm and the officer told one navy/bermuda triangle store after another to keep me entertained. it was quite the ride.

16. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

man i bet that was the coolest thing ever