To many colonies at the home yard.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by alleyyooper, Sep 19, 2009.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

It is a beautiful fall day here after a cool night of 30'sF. I fired up the uncapping knife about 11:30 and had every forager in a 4 square mile area came knocking at the honey house door wanting in. A few even found a hole so they did get in. I unplugged the knife and decided to go to the house. I got stung 4 times in that short walk, because they were mad I wouldn't let them in the honey house I suppose. Thing is earlier I had loaded 12 wet supers in a trailer and took it back in the field to get cleaned out and dried.
    Starting Monday morning I am going to start taking some to out yards. 35 colonies just isn't working here at the house.

:mrgreen: Al

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I know what you mean, i have 33 hives at the house and when i go to my other bee yards 60 miles north and bring honey supers home i have a host of bees waiting at the pole barn where i park my truck. :wave: Next spring i'm going to take all but 20 or less hives up north and to some farmers near by who have been asking me to put some hives on them. I extract in our basement and have to unload the supers at night or early mourning to keep from having a house full of bees. :roll: I'm having a hard time winterizing and checking for stores now because when i take a top off of a hive i have robbers show up. :( Jack

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Robbers!!! lets not even talk about the Yellow Jackets.
    I have a personal hate for those terroist of the stinging insect world and set traps as soon as I see the honey bees flying in the spring. I still have them flying around when fall and extraction time arrives, by the hords.

Shoot I even start getting about 2 calls ad as soon as August arrives from people who havehoney bees trying to get in their house. I get $25.00 a pop just to drive to their home and tell them the same thing I told them over the phone you have yellow jackets a wasp.

:D Al