TO NC BEEKS IN THE WASHINGTON/BEAUFORT/PAMLICO AREA

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tia, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Tia

Tia New Member

If you signed the petition to bring back the Boy Scout Beekeeping badge, you should be interested in this: During the course of my doing everything I could think of to promote that idea, I was directed to the local council, Ray Franks, who in turn referred me to Reggie Cahoon, Program Director for the East Carolina Council, located in Kinston. He and newly employed Allison Vincent, Ecology Center Director, gave me a tour of the future Nature Center located in Blounts Point. We surveyed a couple of sites that would be good for a beeyard, and discussed the liability of a beeyard in a nature park. I look forward to the day they have a website so that folks can see exactly what they've done and what they're working toward. I think the entire thing is a great idea. See their mission statement below.

Thing is, I know a lot of others signed that petition and I'm hoping that everybody who signed will want to help out here. Blounts Creek is about 2 1/2 hrs from my home and as much as I love to help, I don't think I want to be driving there once a week for lessons, set up, etc. I'm hoping that others will share the responsibility with me. Can any of you volunteer to take a day to help the boy scouts at Blounts Creek? :beg: I've gotten a lot of disappointing answers from other beeks who are closer to Blounts Creek than I am :eek: , saying it's too far away! If we could get enough volunteers, it could be a one-time-only trip for each of us.

So if you signed the petition and are really committed to getting the beekeeping badge back, please get in touch with me and let me know. I'll coordinate the visits and maybe we can create something to really be proud of. Right now, the whole thing strikes me as a potential small version of the NC Zoo--and we know how much work Irvin Rackley put into that project! :thumbsup: Let me know what you think.

Hope to see you all at the spring meeting!

This is the Boy Scout Mission Statement:

PotashCorp Aurora Eco Center
    East Carolina Scout Reservation
    419 Boy Scout Road
    Blounts Creek, NC 27814

Mission Statement of Beekeeping
    The East Carolina Council of the Boy Scouts of America serves thousands of youth ages six through twenty one in nine different counties. The properties owned by this Council annual host additional Scouts from nearby states. This Council puts high priority on ecology and conservation education for youth of all ages, demonstrated in the recent acquisition of funds from PotashCorp Aurora to build a new Eco Center and provide a center director. This new center and full time staff member provide this Council the opportunity to offer more nature-related activities and lessons to youth than ever before.
    When youth visit the center, they will be able to observe several different ecosystems on the Nature Trail, perform hands-on experiments both outside and inside the Center, and see a variety of animals in unique terrarium, aquarium, and aviary displays.
    We will plant a garden of wildflowers and beans this spring, and plant vegetables and fruits in the future. We wish to establish at least two bee hives near the Eco Center in the spring of 2011 to provide educational opportunities to thousands of scouts, school groups, and adults in the upcoming seasons. The Center will take full advantage of this educational opportunity to impress onto youth the ecological importance of the honey bee, help establish a positive experience of bees in children’s minds, and attract more schools, scouts, and other youth groups. This proposed demonstration will be maintained by the full time Center director, who will be taught and guided on how to care for, maintain, and exhibit the hives. By starting two bee hives in the spring of 2011 our goal is to, over time, grow our honey bee population in order to help sustain or replenish the wild honey bees of the surrounding area.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

not to start a screaming match here Tia but.... the Boy Scouts mission is about $$$. as far as I can tell this has always been the case. If you think of the Boy Scouts in this way then dropping the bee keeping badge some 20 plus years ago makes perfect sense. there current strategy of incorporating bee keeping under another badge also make perfect sense under this analysis. that is everything is simple subject to a cost benefit analysis and it this case bee keeping doesn't bring in enough $ to justify a program by the Boy Scouts.

I hope someone else caught Jerry Hayes comments in regards to the Boy Scouts and the bee keeping badge (in a fairly recent copy ABJ).

of course the best of luck to you with you project above. I do hope that goes well.

3. Tia

Tia New Member

Well, this isn't the first time I've disagreed with Jerry Hayes. I've always admired you, Tecumseh, and I'm really disappointed that you would make a statement like this. Whether or not BSA will reinstate the beekeeping badge, having an apiary at a nature center can only help the honey bee. And I thought that's what all of us are interested in accomplishing, no? 57 people have viewed this request and you were the first and only to respond. I know that many signed the petition and I'm sure your negative comments have now put them off volunteering to help. 100 people on another forum viewed, with only one volunteering to help. I find it unfortunate that folks find it easy to sign a petition but when it comes down to it are too busy (or some other excuse) to chip in and fight for a cause they (purportedly) believe in.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would like to help, but the travel is just a bit too much for me. I am not within a hundred miles of Blounts Creek. As for the scouts, any organization that size and scope has to have money to operate. I do believe, correct me if i am wrong, the scouts and their supporters supply most of that money. If they get tax money support, I am unaware of it. I do help them locally with their fund raisers and income producing projects. If a local scout unit were to take up beekeeping, I would be one of the first to volunteer and donate equipment.

5. Murrell

Murrell New Member

The Boy/Girl Scouts get money from the United Way, I imagine other groups also.

Murrell

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes, they get it from charities, churches, fund raisers, donations. But, do they get any of our tax money?? I've never heard that they do.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sorry Tia for speaking what I think is closer to the truth (at least the truth for me) than some fuzzy 'do go' image of the Boy Scouts and I am especially sorry if I have ruffled your feathers. some times it is just easier to admire an organization or group from afar than up close.

I am for promoting anything folks singularly or collectively do to keep bees in a box. I pretty much put my time, my attention, my back and my purse to pushing that simple agenda.

of course your are absolutely right that a lot of folks will sign a petition that requires no effort and most importantly no money and then set back and act like they accomplished something.

8. Tia

Tia New Member

Wallie, thanks for your support. I totally understand your not wanting to make that trip!
    But off subject I think I will be calling upon you in the near future to help me out with a difficult trap out from a bee tree. I'll email you about it when the time comes. I'll pay your expenses for travel & take you to lunch!

Tecumseh, thank you for understanding my position. It's very frustrating when you try unsuccessfully to do something to help grow the number of bees in NC and to educate folks about the importance of our little girls, while assuring them they really are sweet little critters that don't want to die just for the pleasure of stinging you! I hate to call these folks and say NC beekeepers can't (or won't) help! I was hoping we could kind of get involved in a mini NC Zoo Bee Exhibit kind of way.

I still have a few tricks up my sleeve. I haven't given up yet.