To queen exclude-her or not to queen exclude-her?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by mjrice, Aug 27, 2011.

1. mjrice

mjrice New Member

On my first year hive, I have two deep boxes plus one medium super. I checked the super today, and it is about 40% full of capped brood and about 60% uncured honey. Should I put a queen excluder on?

2. RAK

RAK New Member

I would make sure the queen is not in the super and then add an excluder. I drill holes in all my supers so that flight bees can get the honey into the super faster.

If you have a good nectar flow the bees will most likely fill in the cells when the brood emerges even w/o an excluder.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would check the bottom deep. It is likely empty. The brood will never be above the honey, so I'm guessing you may need to feed. If you exclude the queen below the honey, she will starve and die.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

as I have suggest on another thread generally in year 1 you don't want to use an excluder at all being the idea is to get as much comb drawn with as little impediment to this primary purpose as humanly possible. in year 2 with proper employment of a reduced bottom entry and a top entrance an excluder can 1) enhance your honey crop (the surplus is above the excluder) and 2) act as a LIMIT to swarming (by decongesting the brood nest).

I would suspect the same thing is happening as Iddee described. if so the proper manipulation is to reverse box moving the brood nest downward and the empty box upward. if the two box of deeps are a bit of this and that then reshuffling the frames is advisable.

5. mjrice

mjrice New Member

Iddee is right - last weekend I inspected both deeps and the lower deep was in fact nearly empty (just drawn comb).