To shake or not to shake...?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by hlhart2001, Jun 8, 2014.

1. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

So I believe I may have a queenless hive(one of the three packages I bought this spring)... Installed the package on April 19th...put them on small cell foundation..built up nicely and as I recall I saw the queen with brood the beginning of May or so. On May 21st I noticed what appeared to be a supersedure cell on the top side of one of the frames. Checked about a week or so later and it appeared to be gone. Decided to leave them alone and checked today...no brood eggs and and when I opened the hive heard what I believe was the Queenless roar(very different from the other 2 hives). I noticed a swarm cell? at the bottom of one the frames with larva in it and some other either swarm or supersedure cells on the sides and bottoms. So I am not sure..one of the other packages seems to be rather strong..should I just pull a frame of uncapped brood and stick it in and when I do should I shake off all the bees or not off that frame? I am wondering also if maybe it swarmed..I just caught 3 swarms in 3 different bait hives on May 30th. Thanks, Halley

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

You do not need to shake nurse bees off.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Sounds like they could have swarmed. I seem to remember you received them sooner than we use to get packages up here in Canada from California. Was it a 2 or 3 lb package?
    If they have cells leave them be until the new queen is mated and laying once the colony is queen right then a few frames could be added to bolster the population.

4. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

They were 3 lb packages. I checked again and I am seeing drone cells..so a laying worker? Sigh. I am going to see if taking a frame of eggs open brood from strongest hive will help..may do in the next week.

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

is the queen in the small swarm you caught laying? If so you could combine it with the queenless hive.

6. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

She is but, I am fearful that if there is a laying worker they may kill this new queen. What do you think? I know that I can do a newpaper combine. I would just hate to lose this new one.

7. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Other than looking for signs of eggs from a laying worker to see before combining. I like to newspaper combine as having all the bees entering the small hive that has bee placed where the queenless hive was can overwhelm the bees in that small hive and they can fight to ward the strange bees entering the hive.
    If you do have laying workers move that hive 6 feet off to the side and place the small queen right hive in its place this way when the forage bees go out and return with pollen and nectar they will be accepted by the guards adding to that hives population and in a couple of days then shake the remaining bees.