To split or allow to swarm?

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by ahoneybeehive, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ahoneybeehive

ahoneybeehive New Member

Using tbh in nc.
    Caught one swarm last weekend and they are going well.
    Checked another hive and there are two closed swarm cells and 2 almost closed ones. Several others in the works. So that one is going to swarm as well. Tons of brood but no bars of honey. (Feeding sugar syrup now and our honey flow should begin in a week or so).
    Soooo...
    Should I split now or try to catch another swarm?
    Once queen cells are closed, approximately how much time do I have before the swarm?
    And if I split, would you suggest the queen stay in the mother hive or go to new hive?

Decisions decisions.
    Thanks for advice.

2. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome ahoneybeehive to the forum, there are others here from your state, personal I would try to split and take the queen with them, that way they think they have swarm. I would do it within a couple of days. That way you know you have them and the other they may be gone.

ken

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Split and do it soon. The queen will swarm shortly after the first cells are capped. Once cells are caped the queen will have slowed down laying in preparation to swarm so they are all ready swarmed they just haven't left the colony yet, but the old queen needs to go in an new hive.

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

yep what they said, I would get up have your coffee and then split them, I would do it 1st thing in the morning cause they could swarm on you mid day. take just a few frames and the queen make sure you dont take any cells cause they will hatch and try to kill the old queen after a spit.