To those with Family in the Military

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hobie, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

First of all, many thanks to them for their service!

Second... I have a step-son in the Air Force, who will be stationed in Qatar for the holidays. Does anyone have any suggestions of what would be both appropriate and appreciated for a holiday gift? I do not want to burden him with unnecessary "stuff."

I'm also assuming I need to mail early...?

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

On past experiences the military personel station or deployed overseas like to get the simplest things from home. Something that will take them back to home even if its in there mind. We have always sent our honey and other products from the hive we make. We usually try to send other things along with it that are a little piece of home. We have been doing this for years with friends who had family in the military. Now that I got sons in the military. The number one thing the oldest who is out of bootcamp ask for even though he is still stationed in the USA. Is things from home a photo of our dogs the river town etc. Other things that would be great would be a video made at home with family and friend record a couple hours of his favorite radio station. a new shirt from his high school or favorite college team

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Thanks Rat! Great ideas!

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Nephew always wanted beef jerky, said it kept well (did not spoil) and was always something that everyone wanted to trade for.

5. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

What ever you decide, might I suggest you fill the empty spaces of the box with personal care items. These can be small things like dental floss, hair comb, toothbrush. I would think things like tic tacs, chewing gum, a magazine, a small pack of cookies might fit in as well.
    As Qatar is an Islamic country, resist the urge to send pork rinds.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

:lol: :lol:
    (I think those are disgusting anyway!)

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

When i was in, just a simple update letter from home ment alot to me, but now we have cell phones.Some of mom's biscuits and gravy would have been nice. :D Jack

9. Murrell

Murrell New Member

I was just reading a book about being stationed over seas in a war zone;
    Several comments were.
    Avoid the urge of sending a bath robe and house slippers !

Murrell