To Wire or Not To Wire?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Larus, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Larus

Larus New Member

Another question from a wannabe beekeeper who's assembling equipment for the first time. I am about to put together some deep and medium frames with crimp-wired wax foundation, with hooks for the wedge top bar. The catalog also says that this foundation has "ripple wire in the center for added support". My question is, should I cross-wire my frames or use support pins? I've heard that cross-wiring will help withstand the centrifugal force during honey extraction. If so, should I cross-wire the medium frames for my supers, and just use support pins for the deep frames?

Thanks a lot.

2. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Support pins are ok for deeps that will be brood frames.
    Wiring is a good idea for any frames that will go in an extractor. Although, shallows might only need support pins.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I wire them all. If you put them on a hive at a time when they are ready to draw them out, pins work for the deeps. If they set in the frames for a period of time before being drawn out, they will warp and sag.

Extracting frames should always be wired, especially by a newbee that hasn't had practice with extracting weak comb.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I wire everthing also, except for cut comb shallows.

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

If it were me I would definately cross-wire... even the brood frames. The only ones I wouldn't cross-wire were ones I was planning to cut up and put in honey jars as complete comb inside the jar of honey...

But, apart from the frames I want to use for cut comb, I don't use wax anyway. I get the unwaxed plastic foundation, and it works great.

6. Larus

Larus New Member

Thank you for the responses. I think I'd better cross-wire every frame.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I cross wire everything not so much for the extractor but to keep the foundation from sagging and warping. If you know how to run an extractor properly you can extract a new medium unwired frame you got to start slow and work your way up in rpm as the honey comes out. even then you might blow out one wired or not.

8. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

hello
    I use fishing line to wire frames they wont blow out in a extractor.the good thing about that is you can cut cells out. look on U Tube just type in fatbeeman got vid there on fish line.
    Don