Todays adventure in pics

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Jun 5, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have been trying to get a laying worker hive to raise a queen without much success. I discussed this in another thread, how good ole hive #13 has been giving me trouble. In another thread someone was asking about laying workers so today I went out and had another look through the offending hive,#13.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Still lots of bees, been dropping in frames of brood once a week.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Laying worker comb with scattered drone brood, and another frame I had dropped in

[​IMG][​IMG]

A frame I dropped in on May 28th. They seem to be raising queen cells but why in the swarm position?

2. Tia

Tia New Member

I would imagine it's because it is a laying worker hive, so they think they have a queen. You keep adding frames of brood which keep hatching, so the hive is getting crowded, so they're ready to swarm; thus, a swarm cell.

3. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Perry maybe you should try changing the hive to a number that's a little more lucky than #13 :lol:

4. milapostol

milapostol New Member

I really like that last picture. You really don't see frame pics at that angle. Keep us posted as I am learning a lot here!

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Remember bees dont read the same books we do. I would be concerend if there was 12 or 13 queen cell but what Im see a couple queen cells along the bottom I cant tell by the photo if they are capped or not. Im thinking If you put the frame in may 28th it should be capped by now. Did you look to see if there was anything in the cells it appears to me they are open

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Rat:

They are open and yes, there is larvae in there. They would be close to being capped. Whether the larvae is viable is another matter. I have a hunch that the eggs used to rear these cells are from a laying worker. Why would they have not tried tio raise a queen on the side of a frame where all the eggs and larvae were? This hive is starting to get the better of me and I'm not certain how to proceed. I will give these cells a chance but then that's it, game over. Split and combine maybe, or shake em all out and put a hive that could use a boost in it's spot. Don't know if they would accept a store bought queen at this point.
    Maybe Crackerbee is right, I should just change the number on the hive. :mrgreen:

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

There is a hundred year old debate on whether bees move eggs and larva or not. It has never been settled. Maybe they moved them to where there were no larva to be killed under them.

8. rast

rast New Member

If you are not totally exasperated with the hive and have a queen right hive to spare for a month or so, you could try this. Using your double screen board, set them on top of a queen right hive for a month or until you don't see anymore drone cells. Then remove it and requeen. Young bees will think they have a queen and laying workers should die. Just don't open the wrong entrance on the dblscreen board :oops: .

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sounds like an idea Rast.
    Another question I have, will the bees straighten up that comb with all the drone bullets all over it and turn it back into proper worker sized cells or is the comb basically ruined for that purpose?

10. rast

rast New Member

The cell diameter should still be worker size. Just "bullet" capped.