Today's "After Inspections" Video

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DonMcJr, Jun 5, 2013.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Didn't have time to Video Tape the whole Inspections so I did a Re-cap after.

Hive #1 was wintered over and is doing great and I added my 1st Super!

Hive #2 was Packaged from a Deadout all comb was drawn and it's strong and got a super too!

Hive #3 is was another package and is weak and may be Queenless-added a frame of new eggs and brood hoping they will make a queen if indeed it is queenless

Hive #4 was also a package and is doing great with eggs, brood and larva and it got it's 2nd deep!

Here's the video!

[video=youtube_share;Z3q7jMGNSNY]http://youtu.be/Z3q7jMGNSNY[/video]

2. Mosti

Mosti New Member

Nice set up. Fingers crossed for the weak one. I would give it a bit of feeding.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I hope the queenless one makes a queen for you, keep a check on it. If you have a laying worker it is sometimes hard to convince them to draw out a queen cell.

4. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

That hive has had a feeder on it for about 3 weeks and I had to empty and clean it at least 3 times because they don't want to touch it.

My hives are in a field that is almost 3 acres that I planted with Clover and it just started blooming so I'm thinking they will be ok feed-wise...

5. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

So far so good. Hoping the weaker sisters can pull it out.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Mine are really bringing in the clover, my disc mower is down right now and they are really taking advantage of the fields!

7. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Just wondering how long I should wait to see if they made a Queen from the frame I put in.

I don't want to disturb them and discourage them...so should I just leave them alone for 20 days or should I look for Queen Cells now a few days after I put the frame of Brood and eggs in there?

8. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Were there any queen cells started on the frame you put in?

9. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

The frame I put in was from a good hive fresh laid eggs and brood. The good hive had no reason to make a queen cell...

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

After 5 days the viabilaty of any of the eggs to be used to make a queen will be lost. check then and if no queen cells have been drawn look for signs of a queen or laying worker. then make a discision on what to do don't wait 2 weeks.

11. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

You can incourage the bees to feed and float larva out of a cell and making it into a queen cell by using the end of a bic pen and enlarging the cell that the young 1 day old larva are in.

12. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Thanks apis... today is 5 days so if I go in the hive I should see queen cells...or a queen I missed last time or laying worker eggs which I thought I saw before 5 days ago.

If no queen is present and no queen cells made should I try one more frame of eggs-larva and open a cell like yiu said? How far should I expand it? 3 cells?