Todays cutout II

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by rast, Mar 20, 2010.

1. rast

rast New Member

I did take my camera, but it got too involved to take pictures. Sorry. I was in almost a fetal position or on my back curved around in a small camper trailer. Had to do it by myself. They were under the vanity sink in the tiny bathroom. I cut out 7 frames of brood alone (deeps) to give you an idea of the size of the hive under and around this sink area. It was filled with comb. I saw the queen once, but by the time I got my queen catcher, I couldn't find her again. 15 sec. maybe. Maybe the bee vac got her and didn't hurt her.
    I was so hot, cramped, sweaty and stung that by the time I got done, I almost didn't care. I sealed up their entrance and put the double deep hive in front of it. Bottom box was full of old brood comb and top box is their brood with some of their honey comb thrown in for good measure. It took me 3 hrs with no break.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Good job. Now report back in 6 days and tell us if you have eggs.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That sounds like a tough one for sure. Glad you got them out and hopefully the queen also.

I know what you mean about taking pics and getting busy, by the time you remember to snap a couple you are finished and wanting to go home.

G3

4. rast

rast New Member

I took it apart this afternoon and put it on a regular bottom board. I had left my vacuum bottom on it. I found the queen in all her glory! Didn't need the bottom box with comb that I vacuumed them into originally. They were 90% up in the wired in brood comb. Removed it.
    This is the first time I have found a snake skin in a bottom board. I sure didn't see it when I was cutting them out and the easing the bees off the comb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

congrats..............