Today's inspection:

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I wasn't going to inspect today but while walking through the woods to one of my forest hives I heard what sounded like a swarm in the trees above me. I quick went and suited up but when I came back the noise was gone.
    I figured since I'm suited up I may as well look in that hive so I fired up the smoker.
    The hive should have a 4 day old virgin queen walking around so figuring she may be on a mating flight I didn't want to disturb them too much. Also in the back of my mind was whether or not she was with the swarm I heard overhead not more than 20 minutes ago. I checked the boxes and saw no signs of her except for the torn down queen cells. I'll look in 2 weeks or eggs/larva. The number of bees was pretty good so if it did swarm it must have been small.

I also had a queen castle that should have two 4 day old queens as well so I figured "why not". Never saw either of them so I'm thinking mating flights and I closed up their compartments.
    We also had an unknown capped queen cell from last Sunday in one compartment. I thought it was the same age as the other two but I must have been mistaken because it didn't hatch. There were only 20 -30 bees in the compartment, the others must have jumped ship and went back to the mother hive. I told the wife that it must be a dud. She wanted to see where in the developmental stage the queen died so she carefully disected the cell and a beautiful golden queen backed out :shock:.
    I gave her a full frame of nurse bees, capped brood and honey and will she what becomes of it in a week or two.
    That cell must have gotten capped last Sunday when we found it.

It's nice when you can build up enough resources that nothing becomes an "emergency"

Neat stuff!

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"It's nice when you can build up enough resources that nothing becomes and emergency"

I wish it was so LOL. I often fail to have the things I need with me half the time. I may have it at home but........:lol:

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a perry snip..
    I wish it was so LOL. I often fail to have the things I need with me half the time. I may have it at home but........[​IMG]

tecumseh:
    not so funny as it is true. I like to tell myself it ain't so much I am unprepared as it is the fact that my truck ain't big enough to carry all the stuff I might need all the time. :wink: