Tommorrow

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by kebee, Jul 29, 2012.

1. kebee

kebee Active Member

My strong hive is robbing the heck out of my weak hive, Here is what I plan to do, make a robbing screen on Iddee plan and install. I am also going to move the hive to the other side of the bee stand which is about 8 ft away. I am going to give them 2 or 4 of the frames of honey from the strong hive, they probly stole it from them anyway. I may give them a brood of bees from that hive also, have to see on this. I order a top feeder so I can start giving them some sugar water, to try and get them to draw comb .I am hoping to get them strong enough for winter, If they do not increase in bees I may make a nuc for the winter with them. I am having yellow jackets going in also so I got 4 traps from walmart, same as those from Lowes but a dollar cheaper each, boy are they getting the yellow jackets, may buy a couple more.
    Ok do you think this might work?

kebee

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It might work today, but if the robbing is bad, they will be dead tomorrow.

3. kebee

kebee Active Member

Its bad but not that bad, that why I want to do something now before they are dead.

kebee

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

If you are goiing to wait until tomorrow to build the robber screen and install it at least close the entrance down to about 1 inch to help them out now. You don't need a fancy square piece of wood, a stick that is big enough to close the entrance to where bees can not pass is all that is required.

5. kebee

kebee Active Member

I already have the entrance reducer in and to the smaller opened to try to keep them out and this is helping, it seem to be in the morning that they are going in and robbing the most, putting a stop on this in the morning I hope. Should the robbing screen be put on at night so as not to give them a way to find out how to get back in if any are in the hive box putting it on in the morning.

kebee

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would put it on early in the morning before they fly or even later tonight after things have settled down. Might need to take your smoker for a couple of puffs to clear the landing board.

7. bee stung

bee stung New Member

make a trap from a liter bottle ,, use a small piece of hamburger for bate ,,,,just cut a small hole in the side about half way down make a flap and push it in a little so they can get in ,, they will try to get out the top

8. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

If you move a weak hive, aren't you likely to lose a large part of it's worker force to drift. It might be better to switch spots with a strong hive and thus bolster the work force. I've never tried it, but a couple of different books suggest it as a management technique.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    I am going to give them 2 or 4 of the frames of honey from the strong hive, they probly stole it from them anyway. I may give them a brood of bees from that hive also, have to see on this. I order a top feeder so I can start giving them some sugar water,

tecumseh:
    at least it sounds like you have a well consider plan although I would suggest 1) if the hive has provision you can close them up completely and totally eliminate the robbing and totally closing the hive in for a day or so will essentially force the bees inside the box to reorient to the new front door and 2) there is nothing wrong with a top feeder* in the circumstance you describe as long as the equipment is VERY VERY tight (which is to directly suggest to you that I would make certain that you are not adding something that can make the situation worse).

*I of course have no idea of the relative size of your Strong vs Weak hive but for me a simple frame feeder or a boardman type feeder in an empty shell/box above the brood nest are two inexpensive alternatives with fewer potential down side consequences.

10. kebee

kebee Active Member

Thank you tecumseh, I have got the hive moved and instaled the robber screen way after dark last night, saw no bees come in so think I got it in just right and fits so snug it stays in place. I think I will close them up at lease for a day. Went to get honey from strong hive, flow must be gone, got only two parcel full so gave that to them. I am happy the way everything went. Just hope the bees are.

kebee

11. kebee

kebee Active Member

I sat an empty hive in place of the hive I moved, when I went out a little while ago the face of the empty hive was cover in bees from the strong hive, glad I moved them early, just at daybreak with just a little light to see.

bee stung, I made up 4 of the traps you are talking and they did not trap nowhere as good as these traps are doing, they are almost full in around a week being out. One I will be cleaning out tommorrow and putting new since in to trap a bunch more. Every dead yellow jacket is a good yellow jacket, have gotten stung so many times by them it will take 10 years are more for the bees to get there. Hate them.

kebee

12. Tia

Tia New Member

Take bee stung's trap and put a cup of Pepsi (not Coke--Pepsi--don't ask me why it works better 'cause I don't know) plus a splash of vinegar in the bottom. Works like a dream for me. After a week I have "yellow jacket pudding" in the bottom of every trap!