Tomorrow Bees!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, May 24, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Tomorrow I finally will pick up my nucs. It is about dang time! I'm trying to brush up what I have learned this spring. With it being mid May should I feed by new bees. If so, I will use large pickle jars for hive top feeding. How many holes in the lid? 1:1 sugar/water? Thanks

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Feed? YES

1:1? YES

Reduce the entrance to an inch or less.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

Be sure the holes in the jar lid aren't too numerous or too big- you do not want syrup leaking down on the bees! Their long tongues are like straws and they will get the syrup through small nail holes. I'd guess 6 or 8 holes would be fine- don't dent the lid when punching the holes- you might want to test the lid seal upside down first.

4. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I heard or read somewhere when placing the jar over the hole you shouldplace a stick to prop one end up? Is that right?

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I have to tell ya, if your not committed to using jars, I have really had good luck with quart freezer bags. I can keep better track of how much they are consuming and it's easy to change them out....I am excited for you...you probably won't sleep tonight...Dave

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If you put your holes in the lid only where the hole is in your inner cover, you don't really need to prop up with sticks.
    Congratulations, tell us all about it, don't leave out any details (like getting stung :cool:) and if you get a chance, take some pictures. You'll treasure them later, and we'll appreciate them right away!.:grin:

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

"" I heard or read somewhere when placing the jar over the hole you shouldplace a stick to prop one end up? Is that right?""

Don't do anything to allow them access to the protective box around the feed jar. They will gather on the bottom of the lid and hang comb.

8. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I'm just recouping from my sting Monday. Popped in the ear. Looked like Shrek for a couple days. Will take pics for sure.

9. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I have probably 20 really small holes in my lids and they seal fine. I used a small finishing nail and just did penetrate the lid. Good luck.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

for here 3 to 5 holes using those thin shanked nails used to build frames is about right. the jar itself needs to be covered in some fashion if the sunshine is excessively intense. if you place syrup bottle type feeders at the top of the hive you need to allow some space between the top bars and the bottle feeder to allow the bees access to the holes. if the holes directly touch the top bars the syrup will be 'wicked away' and the vacume effect that makes bottle feeder work will be negated.

11. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Well, I got my bee's yesterday. Will tell more about it when I have more time. sorry! 1 question. One hive there is little action. The other there are a couple dozen flying arounf the hive then goes back in. What is that all about?

12. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

When bees find a new home, artificially or naturally, they have to orient themselves to their location. They'll do those little circles in front of the hive, flying out in ever widening circles, learning all the landmarks so they'll know how to get home.

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you picked up the nucs in the daytime, you likely lost many foragers. Now they have to both orient to the new location, and convert house bees to foragers. One more than the other. Inspect them after 3 to 6 days and look for eggs, larva, and population. Then we can help access the situation.

14. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

pics! Not too many cause the camera man wasn't there
    Bees 001.JPG Bees 002.JPG Bees 004.JPG Bees 005.JPG Bees 007.JPG Bees 008.JPG Bees 009.JPG Bees 016.JPG

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My bet is crazy8days will be hanging the laundry in the near future, until he moves the clothes line. :shock: :lol:

16. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I figured when I got the bees I was going to loose my clothes line. Sad, sad....

17. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Right now the are flying straight towards the houseinstead of straight out. Maybe the line can be used!

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Of course it can be used, as long as you hang the clothes and don't expect her to. :D

19. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Are we just talking a few or can there be many.

20. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I don't understand the question.