Tomorrow's removal

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by rast, Oct 8, 2010.

1. rast

rast New Member

I'm worried that it may be a fiasco. It's in a phone company 3.5' tall, 8" diameter cylinder that I am sure covers terminal connections. At least it is end of the underground line. Loosen 1 bolt and turn it 1/2" and it should slide straight up. Bees were in it either last year or the year before, the property owners called the phone co., an exterminator showed up and sprayed them. Made them mad big time.
    My worry is what the comb is attached to and how it is going to be shaped to salvage the brood and hopefully get the queen. I hope it's attached to a terminal board sticking up inside the tube and not the tube.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

take pics. This should be interesting.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

This should be a good one

4. rast

rast New Member

It wasn't pretty. Small by my standards. Honey comb was attached to the top of the terminal board and the top of the cylinder. 2 brood combs in the top of the cyl. and 1 down the back interspersed in the wiring. I got all the comb out, but could not get the bees out. I doubt I got the queen. All the brood is in the hive and all the bees that were in the cyl. and what I could scoop out with my hands. I put a trap out cone on it going into the hive. I had three dove hunters (1, the property owner) stop by. He found out they were back in there by propping up against it while shooting :D . They went away grinning with honey comb in a bucket taking turns sticking their finger in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I kept wondering what that buzzing noise was on the telephone :mrgreen:

not a very big colony, think they will make it over the winter for you?

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

G3, he's in Florida. What winter??

Nice pics. I like the cone idea.
    Thanks for the post.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Well I figured even in Fla there is not much blooming in the winter months.

8. rast

rast New Member

Iddee, when I made the statement that you wanted pic's, Sylvia said, well I'll go with you and take them for him.
    G3, they are big enough to make it down here. The top third of the cyl. was full of bees. Feed em and a pollen patty or two. I thought it was small going in, and due to what they were in and where the entrance was is why I put on a full suit, AHB is always a possibility. Still got Spanish Needle and Primrose Willow blooming. I've only got 2 Jul/ Aug nucs that are still singles. The other 8 are already in doubles.
    I went by and checked this morning early and looks like most went in the hive.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Thank You, Sylvia. It is much appreciated.

10. rast

rast New Member

Yep, queenless. Picked em up Thurs. night, went in them today, about 4 queen cells drawn. I pulled the cylinder back apart and no bees at all in it. Very few dead ones in the bottom. A lot more bees in the hive than I expected though. Gonna give em a frame of brood and and a frame of honey. Debating on getting a mated queen to speed things up.