Tomorrow's swarm calls

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Bens-Bees, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Got two swarm calls late tonight, both near the same area of town, so tomorrow morning I'll hit both of them... here's a pic from one of them:

Attached Files:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

whoa nice one. size does matter when it comes to swarms.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Right on. Pictures are always welcome. :mrgreen:

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That sure is a big one for sure, hope everything goes well for ya!!

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Alright well, do you remember how I was saying that I envy how you collect swarms without a veil G3? I'm SOOO glad I wore my full suit on this one... As soon as I shook it they covered me and started trying to sting. Eventually I saw why... although it LOOKS like a swarm, in the middle of that mess of bees was a piece of comb the bees had built already about 2" x 3" and the queen had filled it with eggs already. They were no longer acting like a swarm, but an open-air hive. The property owner lent me her camera and I snapped a couple of pictures that she said she would email to me, but she hasn't sent them yet. I'll post them as soon as she does.

One other cool thing... I actually saw the queen on this one, and watched her walk down into the hive, that was pretty cool, never found a queen in a swarm before, but then, technically I suppose this wasn't a swarm anymore. She's a big fat 'ole thing, and I say that with the utmost love! Looks like she's gonna be a good one.

Alright, well here's the second swarm anyway:

Attached Files:

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

good looking swarms!!

Glad you had your suit on then, never hurts to be careful.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Wow Ben, looks like you had a good day.
    Thanks for taking the time to take the pics and share them. It isn't always the easiest thing to do and certainly not convenient by any stretch, stopping the work, taking off gloves, snapping a pic or two and then gloving up again. I tried doing it (photographing) while doing a cutout once and ended up with some nice pics leading up to the cutout and then when it was all done as well, but missed the good ones during the process. It is hard unless you have someone willing to take the pics as you do the work.
    Appreciate your efforts to share.

8. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Finally got the pics of the comb that they were building in the first one... It was totally hidden until I shook the bees into the box and man was I ever surprised when I did because like I said, they were not at all gentle like a swarm should be because they already had brood.

Attached Files:

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Good pics there Ben, hope you clipped down that little piece of comb, nice thing to hang on the wall!

10. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

No I probably shoud have, but I just crushed it instead.