Too Late to harvest?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Hobie, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I'm running so far behind, I have not taken any honey off my hive. (Yes, hive, singular... down to one now.) Anyway, I was wondering if it is a bad idea to harvest in the heat of summer, when there is limited forage. In theory, they would have not much less than if I had taken a super off in June, but I'm not sure if that theory is sound.

Bottom line, is it a bad idea to harvest now? Should I wait until fall?

2. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

what boxes and how manys on the hive? 2 brood 2 honey?

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

When you harvest doesn't matter. What you leave does. Don't let the hive get under 100 lbs. If you can harvest and leave that much, do so.

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Ideally, you should be harvesting only capped honey, not thick nectar/honey that has not been capped yet. The longer you can wait to let the bees finish evaporating and capping the frames completely, the more pure and long lasting shelf life the honey will be.

5. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

I like harvesting when it is really hot. I spin the frames in my extractor in the sun on my back porch. The honey runs down the insides to the bottom rather quickly and through my filters quicker also. I have also down it in the cool fall temps and it may take a day and a half to run the honey through the filters in cooler temps.

Jim

6. Omie

Omie New Member

Good reminder, Jim. Extracting and straining/filtering honey goes quicker in warm weather.

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Thanks for the info! Right now the hive has 1 deep and 2 shallows for brood (sometimes bees do not move down as expected!) and 2 supers that were honey/nectar last time I checked. One super will serve my needs (more like "wants"!).

Omie, thanks for the reminder on the uncapped frames. In the past I have just put those back into the hive, unextracted. I have been neglectful this year and have no idea what is going on in there, though (please, do not shun me!!) Will probably have to dismantle the hive to the bottom to check everything and ensure sufficient stores. Not a bad thing, since it seems to have shifted on the stand to the edges of the concrete blocks and I would like to re-position it anyway. Bees may not agree.

I like Jim's thoughts on hot-weather harvesting! Excellent advice.

On the good side, my equally neglected garden has sprouted milkweed, which is full of happy bees!

This "gainfully employed" concept is really overrated, I think.