too much propolis?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by JUDELT, Aug 4, 2012.

1. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

Wee, now cooled off enough to write some! Just checked on my hives again. Been feeding the #2 weak hive for a week now; wax moth have taken over! after reading a few others perils,may try to save. I have a question on a strong hive that has always been HEAVY on the gluing- I finally got the 2 supers off- the queen excluder was almost glued solid to them! I scraped it clean as i could. the question- could there be too much glue for them to get thru to the supers? the 2 supers have not been touched since harvest last month. but the brood box under them is being filled with honey! this didn't occur to me until i was inside again. should i take this excluder and clean it up completely and /or replace it? thanks in advance! JUDY BEES ARE AMAZING!

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You may have to leave the excluder off for a bit to get them used to going through it again once they start on the wet supers.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Removing the excluder should also help the bees control the wax moths.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Using propels to seal of the queen excluder may be the bees way of dealing with the wax moths. If they don't have the bee population to cover the area and keep it clean then create a barrier to keep the moth out of areas the bees are in. Just a thought.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

ApisBees could very well be right. But remember that if you don't do anything to solve the wax moth problem, you'll have that whole super reduced to webbing and a gigantic mess. If the colony is too small to handle the job of cleaning out the wax moths, then remove the infested super and eliminate the wax moths any way you can before they overtake the hive. Unhindered, a wax moth infestation can destroy a weak hive.
    The voice of unfortunate experience speaks :crybye:

6. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

Hi all, this ive doesn't have any waxmoth. the weak one did and i emptied it out in front of the good ones. boy, there were alot of larva! this hive is clean and going strong! thanks for all this good advice!