Too slow against yellow jackets

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by jb63, Oct 1, 2011.

1. jb63

jb63 New Member

I lost two collonies and reduced one down to a five frame nuc.If I could do it over again I would have reduced thier entrance sooner by about two weeks.I would have plugged all the holes too_One that died was in my back yard and it had a 7/8 hole in the handle for ventilation,and some gaps in the corners.The y.j's were comming in the bottom and the top.When I took it apart tonight there was 2 live bees and 20 deep framescleaned out.10 med frames cleaned out also_On monday it was full of honey bees and there was stores in the med.

2. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Are you saying the yellow jackets killed all the bees, and robbed the stores in five days?

Could you have had a late season absconding, and the bees left, then the yellow jackets took over?

Bees leaving in the fall is not uncommon.

Just wondering how they took over a healthy colony so quickly. Is there evidence of many dead bees?

3. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

I would guess they absconded as well and The YJs were the clean up crew.

...JP

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

A strong colony while can be agitated by yellow jackets, would think that perhaps the bees as BjornBee suggested abandonded the hive leaving a few stragglers, the yellow jackets were simply raiding the deserted hive otherwise the number of dead bees would be quite large

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

maybe yes and maybe no???

along the line of states from Washington to North Dakota there is quite often reports of bee hives being totally devastated by yellow jackets. in those places if you don't trap the buggers out then likely you will loose a hive to their constant attack (which is typically late summer or very early fall).

6. jb63

jb63 New Member

Well I would like to think they absconbed, but there was dead bees all over the bottom board.I had just replaced the plastic tray under the sbb and it has a1/4 inch of cappings and legs.The y.js. stripped it clean.No honey, no brood but some pollin stores left.Mostly I'm mad at my self for not getting yj traps out soon enough and not plugging the holes in the hive so they could defend it better.We have a week of rain comming so maybe the yjs will stay in their nests and give the rest of my girls a break.All my other hives have their top entrances closed up and bottom ent reduced and they seem to be guarding well.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I sometimes think JB that with robbing (perhaps should be called looting) by honey bees and perhaps with yellow jacket devastation that the looters can perceive some weakness in a particular hive. this 'may' mean that the looter are doing you a bit of a service in eliminating the weak who would likely perish in the coming winter anyway <likely self delusion and wishful thinking by me.

if you get the opportunity why not give us some idea of the kind of traps you employ for yellow jackets.

8. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Typically yellow jacket populations are starting to decline in mid fall, and the workers become particularly aggressive, I again ncome back to--a stromg colony, will repell yellowjackets raids, I have never seen a enmasse attack on a colony of honeybees, by YJ's, but in different areas of the country different results as tecumseh stated. how would you want to see this thing next to your hive? European hornets and they will decimate a hive

Attached Files:

9. jb63

jb63 New Member

10. jb63

jb63 New Member

[​IMG] What the bag says on the other side is that each 1/2 inch line equills 300 jackets.So that means there is 1200 in this trap.

11. jb63

jb63 New Member

[​IMG] In years past before I had bees in the back yard the yjs. would harass our dogs this time of year so putting out traps is normal.I just wish I had started sooner.

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks for the pictures JB. picture #10 I have never seen that type of trap before.

13. jb63

jb63 New Member

Your welcome Tec.#10 was the $4.97 from H.depot.This is the first time I've used them and I like them better than the tube style.

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think I have seen some bottle (1 liter plastic) traps at Harbor Freight. I have wondered how those might work?

you picture #8 are not like what we call yellow jackets here. those here (or what we call yellow jackets here) are smaller (about the size of a honeybee) and ground dwelling. they seem to drown in great numbers when I put out a bit of syrup. quite nasty little buggers if you get into them with a lawnmower. we do have something that looks quite a bit like your 'yellow jacket' which I see around my hives. my girls seem to dispatch those quite readily, although I think I will watch those a bit closer now.

hopefully you can achieve a bit of zen balance in rearing bugs in one hand while killing bugs with the other...

best to ya'...