Tools needed

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by littlebit, Jun 22, 2011.

1. littlebit

littlebit New Member

I am new to this whole beekeeping thing. A friend gave me a hive, and I really like the idea of this endeavor. I am committed to the bees, and not afraid of the work it takes to keep them safe, healthy, and happy.
    However, at this point all I have been able to do is look at them and read material. I have no tools or gear, and as many others might relate, no money to just go out and buy what the bees and I need. I hope it is not inappropriate in this forum to ask, nor too absurd a request, but being older, and not as able to make a quick buck by hiring myself out for hard labor, I am looking for a ex-beekeeper who might have some tools etc. they want to part with. I am open to any generous donation. If anyone feels big-hearted and lives near Springfield, MO, I would love to hear from you. Thank you.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

A smoker, hive tool and veil are the minimum you will need.

Look around on craigs list, every now and then you can find a bargain, local clubs are a wealth of beekeepers that always have some extra gear.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

actually I feel you are starting off the way all keeps should start. I bet you cant find a keep anywhere that doesnt have some kind of gadget he or she bought laying in the bottom of the tool box not being used for there intended purpose with the bees. Mine is a frame gripper bought it and never really used it. You could use a paint scraper I have even used a screw driver for a hive tool. If you look around on the internet there is sites that show how to make homemade smokers. you can also buy used ones cheap on ebay. As you get deeper into the bees the more you will figure out what you need. Then go get it as you have the money. :thumbsup:

4. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Mosquito net mask. Ebay. $5-10 bucks. Cheap veil and we prefer them to a real veil.

Paint scraper makes a fair hive tool.

I would order a smoker though. You can attempt to use a spray bottle with sugar water in it but I don't like that method. Its sticky and I still get bees mad at me.

Jack (brooksbeefarm). Or Murrell will be by shortly. They are both in the area and may know a source. I just loaned my extras out to my 4h kiddos.

Charla

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Littlebit:

First off, Welcome to the forum. You have found the right place for knowledge about beekeeping. There are a whole bunch of friendly folks here that are happy to tell you about their experiences.

Also, go to utube.com, and search for beekeeping. You can watch hundreds of videos about beekeeping. I would advise watching videos about hive inspections, you can see what the people wear, the equipment they use (and figure out what you can use instead of-say-a hive tool, maybe a paint scraper?)

As one or two other folks have mentioned, find your local beekeeping association, or other local beekeepers. Most of us are more than happy to loan-or give-the minimum necessary gear.

You have the right attitude about keeping your bees healthy and thriving, and you are going about it the right way, searching for information.

Again, welcome to a new world.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Welcome aboard.
    If you want to keep your back from aching, make sure you place your hives on some sort of a hive stand. Anything can really be used (bricks, crates etc.). Just make sure that the hive is kept high enough to spare you from bending over too much.

7. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

You'll find a way to get what you need.

Find a straw hat or pith helmet. Got an Army Surplus store nearby.
    Mosquitoe net head gear. The weave is alittle tighter, but it'll do for now.
    A window pry bar from the hardware store, $9.00 maybe. But a flat bladed screw driver will work.
    Heavy duty dishwashing gloves work okay.
    Long sleeved shirt and long paints. Jeans are fine.
    A smoker is hard to cob together. Splurge a little. Get a small one.

Find a Bee Club nearby.
    Welcome and enjoy.

8. Murrell

Murrell New Member

The Springfield area has a large Bee Club, I believe around 80 or so members.
    Race Bros. Farm supply on W. Kearney [sp] has bee supplies, seems a little high but, when you figure shipping and handling.

There is a govt. surplus store in Springfield, pasted it Monday but forgot were it was, North/West side of town ?

A old long sleave cotton white/light blue shirt [Salvation Army Special] , if you need to wear gloves, dish washing { hands will sweat a lot ] or plain ole work gloves will work.

Try this www.ozarksbeekeepers.org

Murrell

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I almost buried mine--it was so uncomfortable to work with, cutting into my hands through the gloves.
    I wrapped and bound some heavy fabric around the handles and gave it a second chance. I'll admit, it isn't essential, but it's very handy, letting you remove and hold a frame with one hand. Getting out a first frame from a super, when things are tight, is also a lot easier than with gloved fingers (of course, you don't have to work with gloves if your ladies and you are calm).

10. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Frame gripper;

When Arthur got so bad in my fingers I dug them out, they are helpful with that.

Murrell

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Murrell,
    Maybe what you need is a few good stings on your finger joints. :cry:
    I thought we beeks were supposed to be immune to maladies like that (although, I confess that sometimes I have my doubts). :|

I never really know how to relate to apitherapy. :oops:

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Littlebit, i'm 14 miles N. of Springfield, Mo. (Fair Grove, Mo.) We have a bee club in Springfield that meets every 4th Tues. of the month 6:30 pm at the South Libary on S. Campbell. Anyone is welcome to attend, you can find out all you want about bees and more at these meetings. :mrgreen: If you like what you see and want to join, there is a yearly $15.00 per family membership fee, (we now have over 100 members) we are non profit and you will get more than the $15.00 back from the free meal the club throws for our Christmas party in Dec. plus all the free meals at our on hand beekeeping outings at members homes.Plus free Fair passes if you work the Fair. :thumbsup: We have a good friendly bunch of beekeepers in our club, but of course there all a little touched, except me. :lol: Jack

13. lavert5

lavert5 New Member

I bought mosquito nets off ebay for about 6 bucks for 3 of them including shipping. I have a top bar hive so i use a bread knife and a pait scraper as hive tools. I bought a smoker from dadent, the $19.95 smoker is of excellent quality and works well. Find a bee club near you maybe someone has extra tools not bein used they would sell or loan you till you can get your own.

14. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Now that you've got a list of tools, I would recommend a nice convenient box of some sort to hold everything together. When I have to make a quick visit to my hives, instead of collecting all the necessary tools from here and there, I just grab my hive box and know that everything I need for just about any eventuality is in it. No wasted time, nothing forgotten.

15. Murrell

Murrell New Member

I have never reached that stage !!
    Something is always missing !

Murrell

16. Zulu

Zulu Member

I know I am late to the party and don't see you posting back, BUT

Simple paint scraper, $3 at Sherwin Williams and an old white dress shirt plus veil is all you need.

I use nitrile gloves now after getting too many stings on back of my hands. $8 for 100 at Harbor Freight.

I did add a frame holder as a nice to have and obviously as already said I did buy a smoker( but have seen google plans for a coffee tin smoker)

17. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

A five gallon plastic bucket works as an ersatz tool box. For a few bucks, you can purchase a cloth cover with pockets that fits on the bucket and leaves the center open. I've seen them at Home Depot.

18. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member