Tools of the trade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crazy8days, Aug 1, 2013.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I'm always looking for the best deal on the best made tool. I'm looking for a uncapping fork that works the best, will last long and is good quality. Who carries?

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I bought one out of the catalogs that was made from plastic, it got knocked off the table and i stepped on it, and broke it.:roll: So i put a table fork in the vise and bent the prongs to rake over the cappings (those hard ones), but i mainly use a elec. knife. Been using it for 2 yrs. now.:thumbsup: Jack

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I always used a fork straight out of the drawer to my wifes dismay. and a uncapping knife

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Lol @ River! :grin: I have an official heating knife and de-capping tool but I use a serrated steak knife and fork for what I miss.

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Crazy8,Like Jack I spent good money on an "official capping scratcher" from one of the major suppliers, I'm not going to name which one, (although their initials are ML) I too dropped it and stepped on it. OOOPS!
    A table fork works great for what my decapping knife don't get.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

are we in the midst of a bunch of capping scratcher abusers!

7. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I picked up a stainless one with very thinly tapered and sharp teeth. I tossed it in with some things my son was picking up and didnt realize till later, looking at the receipt, that it was 35$. It does a super job of slicing the cappings though, without tearing the cells, but I would not have knowingly payed that much for one.