top 3 bee researchers of the last 150 years

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by riverrat, Aug 16, 2010.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Alright Im looking for who your 3 top bee researchers are in the last 150 years. These are people you base your keeping on, Miller, Huber, lanstroth, root, von frisch, dadant etc. Please include why you believe they have contibuted the most to how you keep your bees.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Rat we will need to go back more than 150 years, Hubers observations were over 200 years ago.

L.L. Langstroth............for his design of the modern type hive that works so wonderfully, is very interchangeable, and can be found almost world wide. The discovery of bee space was a very basic thing for the whole idea to work (even though he did not discover it, just promoted it).

A.I. Root...............For the invention of the honey extractor, what a grand idea it was.

Johannes Mehring and E. B. Weed..........for their inventions of and contributions to the wax foundation for frames.

Moses Quinby............the first bellows-type smoker, where would we be with out this little gadget.

F. Huber (his scientific mind) and F. Burnens (for his sharp eyes)..........for all of the observations of the bees, done through anothers eyes since he was blind.

Some of the most important researchers are just the plain simple beeks that are willing to share their knowledge and lend a helping hand to others.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Tecumseh, sqkcrk, allyooper

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Huber I think goes back a bit further than 150 years. He would definitely be on the top of my list.

VonFisch just for the the magnitude of his research efforts.

and as a more modern day application type my vote would go to Brother Adam.

as I think someone said (Newton perhaps???)... 'we stand on the shoulder of giants.' now ain't we the fortunate ones?

5. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

Randy Oliver, Marla Spivack, USDA bee lab as a group.
    Randy has dedicated his life towards helping others keep healthy bees at a time when bees are faced with huge stresses and he gives us the results for free. He's always willing to put theories to the test and report the results so that the rest of us don't have to. The way things used to work don't mean anything if your bees all die. he helps us keep them alive.
    Marla Spivack and the USDA lab have given us the foundation for bees that are capable of surviving the gauntlet of threats that they are up against. It's getting hard to find beekeepers who don't see value in hygenic behavior and that should tell us something about the work these researchers do.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

in modern times I would have to put Sue Cobey on the short list