Top Bar Hive and Warre Hive Photos

Discussion in 'Bees' started by cacklewack, Sep 8, 2010.

1. cacklewack

cacklewack New Member

After tirelessly building hundreds of top bar hives and Warre hives in my shop with a table saw and a miter saw, in conjunction with any friends I could con into helping, I finally have a mill producing all of my hives.

Here are some rough photos (we'll have professional photos taken in the next couple weeks) of the new horizontal top bar hives and Warre hives I'm both using in my own apiary and selling online through my store. They are both constructed from 1" FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) Certified Western Red Cedar. Both hives are precision milled just south of Portland, Oregon.

Top Bar Hive Front:
    [​IMG]

As you can see, they have 2 side entrances toward each end and 2 centered. I've found this allows for the most versatility in placement of the colony(s) when making use of a two follower board system. I generally start all of our colonies in one end surrounded by two followers. I then move one follower all the way to the other end and then begin harvesting.

Top Bar Hive Back:
    [​IMG]

Top Bar Hive Top:
    [​IMG]

Top Bar Hive Top Open:
    [​IMG]

The most annoying part to design, but I'm very pleased with the results. The "hinged" design is my favorite part.

Top Bar Hive 1 Piece Bars:
    [​IMG]

1 piece wedge top bars were the hardest part for us to make, but they are one of the easiest components for the mill to produce. Using their CNC equipment they pump out dozens per minute.

Warre Hive Front:
    [​IMG]

Warre Hive Side:
    [​IMG]

Warre Hive 1 Piece Bars:
    [​IMG]

Hopefully these photos are helpful to someone!

Cheers,
    Matt

2. Hobie

Hobie New Member

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Those are some nice hives, do you leave them unfinished or clear coat them (for your own use)?

4. cacklewack

cacklewack New Member

Thanks! So far I generally leave them unfinished. I may experiment with some clearcoat and monitor the difference over the winter, however.

Matt

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I was just thinking with all of the nice wood grain those would look nice with some poly on them. Really be a little show piece in the back yard.

6. Charles

Charles New Member

Matt, those look great! I agree with the others a coat of ploy would really make them stand out...

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

might I suggest??? a cold dipping (well actually cold is not the right word here) with just a bit of exterior stain, a lot of paint thinner and just a bit of parafin can look awfully nice.

thanks for sharing the pictures.

8. topbarmaker

topbarmaker New Member

A little advice from a long-time architectural woodworker - use the finishes that boat builders use. My favorite is a penetrating oil from Sikkens called Cetol. Check out Jamestown Distributors for Sikkens and other extreme environment finishes. The enemy of finishes outdoors is the sun. It will fade stains, degrade clear coats and ultimately attack the wood itself. Oil finishes can be renewed by reapplying the oil. Film finishes - all varnishes, shellac, etc - must be removed and then reapplied to keep the work looking good. UV resistance is of prime importance. Having said all this, the best protection for wood outside is a pigmented paint, the more pigment the better. That western cedar sure would look nice with a clear finish, though.

9. cacklewack

cacklewack New Member

Well I said we'd have new photos, and here they are!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More photos can be seen at our website.

Matt

10. cacklewack

cacklewack New Member