Top bar hive entrance

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by BeepsBees, Apr 15, 2016.

1. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

When building a top bar hive should I pls d the entrance on the long side or the short side? How many bars in between the dividers should I have for first time package bees? Does only one spacer have holes for a feeder? What keeps them from making comb on the bars above the feeder?(I assume not putting guides there but JIC). Any other Newb advice is welcome. I'm set on a top bar hive with an observation window. Thank you. Oh and which way should I face the entrance of the hive? Included a picture of my yard incase that helps. One more question. How long after installing package bees should I expect them to swarm? I want to be prepared with a NUC box and or second hive. Ty again!!! ImageUploadedByBeekeeping Forum1460749527.182421.jpg

2. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

I need more info on the dividers too. Is there only holes on one divider for a fever and the other is just to clock off some of the bars that u don't want the bees to expand on? How many bars do I put between the dividers for a first time colony from package bees? I am confused on how to build and use the dividers