Top Bar Hives For Sale - Coast to Coast

Discussion in 'Trading Post' started by kenny61, Jul 10, 2010.

1. kenny61

kenny61 New Member

I make Beautiful Top Bar Bee Hives out of Cypress, Cedar and Pine..All sawmill wood over 1 inch thick..Prices for standard hives made of pine start at $150..Options include Observation Windows, Cypress and Cedar Wood, and Internal Feeders..Email me for pictures or with any questions at kenovy1@yahoo.com[attachment=1:yovq3dsz]JD2.jpg[/attachment:yovq3dsz]

Attached Files:

2. Ducks®™

Ducks®™ New Member

Those look Kool brother,,, I dont know anything about bee keeping other than I think that top bar looks neet... super nice lookin dog too,,, ya know ;)
    I forgot to mention I see a guy selling these for 3;50 ..yeah thats what I thought too... good lord what kind of gold plated wood was it . :mrgreen:

3. kenny61

kenny61 New Member

Hi Ducks..I too have seen these hives selling for upwards of 400 dollars..I think its rediculous that someone could charge that much..I build alot of these each year and im planning to standardize my hive design this year to possibly begin selling them globally..thanks for the interest...kenny

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

cool dog.... I have had several of those myself.

I am not a great promoter of top bar hives although I think for a certain set of folks they would make for an excellent choice. I had two customers this year that purchased nucs made up in shallow depth supers that then transferred the bees, brood and wax to a top bar hive. both customers had little experience but they seemed to have made their idea work.

5. kenny61

kenny61 New Member

Hi Tecumseh..you have had several what?? Top Bar Hives or Weimaraners??:cool: I prefer the Natural Chemical-Free aspect of beekeeping and i find it easiest in a TBH..although as long as one is chemical-free i dont care what kind of hive a person uses...nor do the bees..Granted youll get more honey out of a Langstroth hive..my bees seem healthier in my TBH's

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

howdy kenny61

Weimaraners of course. the current one is quite the athlete and more than just a little bit of character.

I am not certain why chemical free would be easier in a top bar hive? or to put it another way why chemical free should be any more difficult in a Langstroth hive? perhaps you might wish to explain your thinking here.

ps... at the current point in time I do not promote myself as a chemical free beekeeper but I do promote the idea of caring for sick bees only when the bees are sick. that is... to avoid blanket application only if there is something that tells you directly that blanket application is warranted.

and one or two more direct questions.... are these units shipped assembled or unassembled and with or without the top bars?

and good luck...

7. kenny61

kenny61 New Member

Hi Tecumseh..i find being chemical-free a whole lot easier in a TBH..when you remove the lid of a TBH you dont expose the entire colony of bees..the insides of my hives are completely propolised and i believe the bees live in a healthier environment..i dont know why but my Langstroth hive had hive beetles this year and both of my TBH's did not..My Langstroth hive also had more varroa mites in it...they are both chemical-free yet i believe the Langstroth hive is weaker then either of the TBH's..naturally i cant prove this but from a beekeeper that observes his hives these little differences are apparent to me..ill treat all the hives with grease patties this fall and in the spring and i hope for the best with all my hives...As im sure you know, sometimes things just happen the way nature plans it not us..

Ive been shipping them assembled but its been pretty expensive..was 139 dollars to ship one to california from north carolina..im working on breaking them down into one or two smaller boxes for easier shipping and a lower cost...They all come with top bars included..i also wax the top bars..no popsicle sticks..thanks

8. kenny61

kenny61 New Member

Hi Sam...if you want to email me at bee_green_nc@yahoo.com i can get your zip code and give you prices..thanks

kenny

9. Ducks®™

Ducks®™ New Member

You know what .. those top bar hives you make are so Cool,, just one thing I think I would do,, if YOU dont mine me saying Sir.. I would route the edges,,, It would give that extra touch ;)

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think perhaps Ducks has done some wood working in his day? I do agree that an extra touch can add quite a bit and most especially for a certain slice of the market. Then I think I would consider adding an optional copper top.

11. Ducks®™

Ducks®™ New Member

Copper top is a wonderful idea.Now thats worth doing for sure!

12. 100 TD

100 TD New Member

Beautiful hives, I think shipping to OZ would be a bit expensive though!