Top entry - can I just stuff a stick under the lid?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by BSAChris, Jun 8, 2013.

1. BSAChris

BSAChris New Member

My inner covers don't have notches in them - and I would like to move towards top entries on the hives for a few reasons. I could cut a groove in one edge of each of them, 1/2 inch wide by 3/8 deep or thereabouts, OR I could just stuff a stick under the lid to hold it up a bit. What's best? (I know what's easier!)

Thanks!
    ​Chris

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have drilled 3/4 in choles in the top deep for top entrances. I have also used sticks under the inner cover as you have suggested. Make sure when using sticks the hive is strong enough to guard against robbing when a dearth comes on.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

4. BSAChris

BSAChris New Member

Good, thanks - I will procure The Stick © and proceed with caution!
    But not until it stops raining...

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I did 2 chunks of bark under the inner cover set on top of the frames with the telescoping cover on top of that. It was neat to see how the bees propolised all but he very front and a little around the sides to their liking.

6. Lburou

Lburou Member

I use the 1/2 inch notch in the inner cover as well as a hole near the hand hold. I try to leave the round hole the size of a wine cork so it can be closed anytime. Dadant sells a 'ventilated' inner cover for keeping the hive cooler. HTH :)

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

chris, i do as perry does, only my notches are 3 ", the bees will love you year round........:grin:

ps. also i use vent boxes on top when it gets hot. another trick is, when it gets really stinking wisconsin humid and hot, you can tip the outer cover back on the hives. give them an extra notched inner cover, set the front of the outer cover on top of the inner cover, so it it is tipped back. put some weight on it. this will also improve ventilation......:grin:

8. jb63

jb63 New Member

I drilled 7/8 holes in the back hand hold and have my wine drinking friends save me corks.Then if I want to close the door I just stick a cork in it.:shock:

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am still waiting on my first patent check :wink:.

although 'tecumseh stick' is generally easy to acquire they are not very pretty. building shims (purchased at any building supply store) which are used for setting in windows and doors will accomplish pretty much the same thing and and look a bit more cleaner.

10. BSAChris

BSAChris New Member

Well I went back and forth on some "designs" and finally settled on a patented bit of oak bark that's holding the lid up and out - the bees like it! They are going in and out, and I wonder if its sped up their comb production in their new 2nd brood box? They are going gangbusters in there. :) I have only done it to my strongest hive - it is just ahead of my #2 hive, so I think once the 2nd box goes on #2 hive I will procure another special top secret bit of bark for that one too.

11. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Oak bark has been approved in all 50 states as a lid holder upper ;)