Top or Side Crank Extractors?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by litefoot, Aug 10, 2012.

1. litefoot

litefoot New Member

I'm looking at extractors and have seen some that have a top crank that follows the top periphery of the tank and others with a side crank and shaft that extends to a planetary gear in the center. Do any of you have a preference? Without any experience, my assumption would be the side crank is a more natural motion while allowing a better view into the tank. Maybe the differences are minimal and I should focus on getting a good value regardless of the design. Thanks!

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Got a 2 frame Maxant top crank, wish it was a side crank. Hard on the elbow after a while.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I prefer side cranks by far.

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

with a side of crank extractor you can be seated while working the crank you must stand to operate a top crank effectively. I use two frame side crank.
    Barry

5. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Thank you all for chiming in. I'm taking a hard look at the extractors from Brushy Mt. I'm just really amazed that an extractor is even in my conversation this year! My bottom super is VERY heavy and about half-capped with no brood in any frame.

6. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Like most everyone else, I'm fond of the side-crank. It seems like the whole mechanism is sturdier than the top-crank models.
    I've got a 3/6 frame Walter T. Kelley that I found on craigslist for $60.00. you aren't gonna need one this year, so shop around a little. My persistance paid off, I looked at craigslist every day for about 4 months until I found the one I got. An older beek was getting out of the business, and I called 2 hours after his son posted it for him.
    Stay away from the "budget" plastic extractor, and the stainless steel is better than the galvanized.
    Good luck, and keep us posted.

7. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

Neither, spend the extra and get electric. Everyone I've talk to that bought a hand crank regretted it and bought power eventually.

8. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

I definitely prefer the side crank, however, I bought one with a top crank (Maxant 3100H). My reason for this is that the Maxant is easily convertable to power. I figured I can live with the top crank for a year or two while I save for the motor! If I had planned on using a handcrank for years and years, I would have got a side crank instead.

9. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Well I'm deciding between a Mannlake HH-190 and a Brushy side crank. I know the BM compact unit has metal gears and is Italian-made, but not sure about the ML's origin or gear material. Maxant only has top crank and Dadant uses nylon gears in their side crank extractors. The tank on the Brushy units are 22 gauge versus 26 gauge on the ML HH-190. But then I read somewhere that the Italian units have plastic basket parts...my head's hurting. There appears to be no obvious choice.

10. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Update: I looked at everything out there and just could not ignore the value/price of the Maxant extractors. I found free shipping from HTK Bee Supply on a 3100H and after discussing the pros/cons of all the extractors with the family, I ordered it up. My boys said it sounded like a no brainer. It's a bit bigger than I want, but I'm buying this not only for myself, but the only other extractor for us hobbyists in the valley is being shared by about 20 beeks. Maybe I can help take the pressure off that poor guy who has been so generous with his unit for so many years.

11. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

Wise choice. You can always add power later if your arm gets tired. It's also nice that you thought of others in making your decision.

12. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

I have a 3100H, and one of the features I like is that you can extract tangentially or radially. This year, I'm guessing because of the drought, my honey was super thick. I ended up extracting everything tangentially (3 at a time) instead of radially (6 at a time). I think I'd still be cranking if I only had radial as an option.

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

14. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

Hello Litefoot,

I bought the maxant 9 frame 3100 manual. It has the top crank. I WOULD PREFER THE SIDE CRANK. However, the reason I went ahead and bought the Maxant top spin is because some day.........whenever I can afford it, I plan on purchasing the motor to spin the frames and with the Maxant 3100 it has that capability.

Good luck with your choice and let us know what you picked and how it works for you.

15. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Jim,
    I too wanted a side crank, but decided on the same model you have. I called the Dadant folks who were very patient and helpful as I asked a load of questions :thumbsup:and I almost sprang for a Ranger. But in the end, I liked the build quality of the 3100 (which could also spin deeps) for less money. And when the free shipping option presented itself...well, the deal was done. Also, the fact that you can power it later was not lost on my kids as they added their input.:lol: One day, I'll probably look back at this thread and figure I did too much fretting over this whole extractor thing. I sure appreciate all you salties dropping down to the 101 thread and lending a hand.

16. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

Litefoot, Good choice IMHO. I think you will be very satisfied (except for the top crank). Very well built. :thumbsup: