Tops and bottoms drawings

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by LtlWilli, Jun 12, 2011.

1. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

Does anyone have diagrams of simple tops and bottoms that are sturdy? Square cuts are all I do, so it needs to be simple...I run out of these constantly.
    Thanks in advance
    LtlWilli

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am not certain why you might need pictures or drawings??? bottom boards and migratory covers are really just flat sheets of wood with some small cleats tacked on here and there. once you get the dimensions to your liking that is about the only decision you need to make.

3. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Are you expanding quickly? Is that why you run out of them so fast?

Yeah, plywood cut to size is all I use for covers. Bottom boardas take a little more work, but like tecumseh says, they are just a board or boards w/ some strips of wood around the edges to elevate the hivebody up off the floor a little.

I can't draw on the internet. Don't know how.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

The bees are less picky than you are.

I have some tops on my hives that are nothing but coroplast (old political signs).

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Ahhhh, but what party affiliation are they? Does it make a difference to the bees? :mrgreen:

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

When they are conservative signs they will leave the hive and fly to the right and if they are liberal signs they will fly to the left. I try to use them according to where stuff is blooming, gets them heading in the right direction. :drinks:

7. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

Well, I hope it does not matter to them---I'm a Zoroaster. :D

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

with a political sign on the top and you being a Zoroaster ltlwilli they will likely fly directly to the stars looking for better beekeepers than are available here on earth. being ET (<no brag... just fact) I can tell you there are places where they can do better.

folks have used all kinds of stuff for tops.. I have even read of folks using old carpet or anything that might turn the weather.