Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have diagrams of simple tops and bottoms that are sturdy? Square cuts are all I do, so it needs to be simple...I run out of these constantly.
Thanks in advance
LtlWilli

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
I am not certain why you might need pictures or drawings??? bottom boards and migratory covers are really just flat sheets of wood with some small cleats tacked on here and there. once you get the dimensions to your liking that is about the only decision you need to make.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Are you expanding quickly? Is that why you run out of them so fast?

Yeah, plywood cut to size is all I use for covers. Bottom boardas take a little more work, but like tecumseh says, they are just a board or boards w/ some strips of wood around the edges to elevate the hivebody up off the floor a little.

I can't draw on the internet. Don't know how.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
The bees are less picky than you are.

I have some tops on my hives that are nothing but coroplast (old political signs).

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
G3farms said:
The bees are less picky than you are.

I have some tops on my hives that are nothing but coroplast (old political signs).
Ahhhh, but what party affiliation are they? Does it make a difference to the bees? :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
When they are conservative signs they will leave the hive and fly to the right and if they are liberal signs they will fly to the left. I try to use them according to where stuff is blooming, gets them heading in the right direction. :drinks:

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
with a political sign on the top and you being a Zoroaster ltlwilli they will likely fly directly to the stars looking for better beekeepers than are available here on earth. being ET (<no brag... just fact) I can tell you there are places where they can do better.

folks have used all kinds of stuff for tops.. I have even read of folks using old carpet or anything that might turn the weather.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts