Torn queen cells, no queen seen, no eggs

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by ScoobyDoBee, Jul 1, 2011.

1. ScoobyDoBee

ScoobyDoBee New Member

June 24 created split. (Edit: should be 6/16) This is my first time to open the split. I'm in the daughter box (8 fr deep). Assuming there were no existing queen cells, which I am pretty certain there were none, it's a week early for a queen to have been made and out already, true??? That would be just 2 weeks from split with eggs.

I did find "ravaged" queen cells - definitely not ones in the making (though I did find ONE open one too). There were but a few brood, I am sure from what I originally put in. No NEW brood - certainly too early for that. Did not see any eggs, but if she did hatch that's still 2 weeks out I think. No capped honey. Lots of pollen and something else - almost honey? Looked denser than nectar but was not capped.

So, I'm thinking I have to still just sit tight for another 2 weeks? And is it probable that a queen did in fact hatch after only 2 weeks from split? And in 2 weeks if no eggs, I must requeen or combine??

Thanks!!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The queen emerged 12 or 13 days after the split. You have a queen a few days old. She will begin laying sometime between 5 days old and 20 days old.

3. ScoobyDoBee

ScoobyDoBee New Member

WOOOOO WOOOOOO!!!!! :yahoo: (I hope!)

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Yay! Keep us posted, and try not to go into the hive too much, tempting though it is.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

After hatching she has to grow a little, become sexually mature and take her mating flight.

6. Larus

Larus New Member

I hate to rain on the parade, but this whole thing doesn't compute. June 24 was 7 days ago (today is July 1st). 12-13 days after the split would be next Wednesday or Thursday. So, unless you had queen cells before you made the split (which you say you are pretty certain you did not have), you don't have a virgin queen. My suspicion is that after the split, the bees started a few emergency queen cells, but none of the queen larvae developed well enough to "pass muster" with the nurse bees, so they tore the cells apart and destroyed the larvae.

I would requeen this hive ASAP with a purchased queen, before you get a laying worker.

7. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Unless the 14th was the day the split was made. Two weeks was mentioned,

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Thanks, Larus. I was just looking at the two weeks in the OP and didn't add up the days. Either the June 34 is a typo, or his two weeks is wrong. I'll hold judgement until he explains the time frame a bit better.

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

http://www.thebeeyard.org/queencalendar ... &year=2011

When I make a split or start a trap out I think of that as day three according to the queen. I have adjusted the above calender to reflect that. That means the queen would hatch on 7-9-11 and look for eggs on 7-27-11. As of today you should still have open queen cells and capped in the next day or so. I you found queen cells with the sides torn out, sounds like you moved queen cells into the new split.

Have you been in the parent hive and seen the queen or eggs? They could be queenless.

10. ScoobyDoBee

ScoobyDoBee New Member

2 weeks was Thursday, yesterday. Sorry bout that.

No, G3, haven't been in parent; will go into parent tomorrow after work.

11. ScoobyDoBee

ScoobyDoBee New Member

I am keeping my umbrella handy for my parade, but I plugged into the nifty calendar the actual - correct - date of June 16 for the split. That looks like I may be right where I'm supposed to be. I'm going to root for Iddee's answer but will still go into the parent tomorrow and see what's up.

I'll keep you posted!

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

June 16th split would have the queen emerging on the 28th, within a day either way. That means eggs any where from July 3rd to July 17th.

13. ScoobyDoBee

ScoobyDoBee New Member

I like the sound of that! When do you advise checking them again? That's a nearly 3-week range before I know if I'm a proud parent - oy!

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would check tomorrow or Monday. Remove the lid and look down. Only check the 2 or 3 frames covered heaviest with bees. Check weekly after that. Again, only the heaviest covered frames. You want to keep the intrusion as light as possible until she has larva. Then you can do a full inspection.

15. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I'm cornfused :confused:

16. ScoobyDoBee

ScoobyDoBee New Member

G3, obviously me too! :) I misspoke in my original post when I said June 24. ACTUAL DATE of split was June 16. Not sure where I was sleep-walking to come up with 6/24, but the aforementioned TWO WEEKS was correct, but not the date.

Does that help?

17. ScoobyDoBee

ScoobyDoBee New Member

Iddee, thanks. Will do!

18. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yep that cleared up the waters pretty good.
    It don't take much to run me off track sometimes, remember I am from ten e c.

19. ScoobyDoBee

ScoobyDoBee New Member

UPDATE: Checked box multiple days ago - no eggs. Checked again today, still no eggs in the "daughter." So I did a newspaper combine and put the daughter back in the parent hive, thinking I'd rather not search out a queen at this point.

I think I goofed yet again though. :frustrated: In my mind, the parent hive (four 8 fr medium boxes) had the queen, so when I was checking her out, I didn't go down to the bottom 2 boxes, I just went down into the top 2. I didn't see any eggs but I did see some capped drone brood along the bottom of a couple of frames.

So... A few questions. When a laying worker lays, do their eggs actually get capped? Or is this good that the drone cells are capped because only the queen would get that accomplished?

... And I didn't see ANY eggs in the daughter, so I feel there was NOT a laying worker in there. What would happen if there did happen to be one and I did this combine? Just curious.

Finally, the daughter had been split for 3 or 5 weeks so a newspaper combine was necessary, right? I put a normal inner board on the top box (former daughter, a deep), so they have an exit. It's been over 100 degrees here with heat indices at 110.

All that said (should this have been a new post???), sound like I'm good to go? Any huge red flags waving?

Thanks for your patience and input!!!

20. Iddee

Iddee New Member

As I said above, the new queen could start laying as late as July 17th. You may have just killed her. The mother queen would likely have been laying in the bottom box if the flow has slowed down, so you should have checked all the way down.