Hi, first post.
In 2021 we decided to try raising bees, originally just for pollination and to share our plants and uncontrollable Oregano meadow. Our friend recommended we get a Carniolan nuke to start and build a Langstroth hive, sized to accept a flow frame box at a later time if we wanted to.
Things went well, after a swollen nose and ear I bought a good suit, veil, gloves and a smoker. I read up on preparing the hive for winter, they made it through without any problems. Spring of 2022 they were out earlier than I expected and, despite a couple of attacks, things went well. We decided to install the flow frame box. As summer got hotter, the bees would 'beard' on the hive front, I figured the hive was overheating so I added a medium honey box and improved the top cover venting.
Unfortunately, Fall came early. A storm sprung up while we were away for a day and blew the roof off the hive, I didn't think of rain entering the hive, but I'm guessing it did.
Started to notice a lot of dead bees around the hive front after Christmas but I put it down to normal winter kill. Tapped on the hive and heard activity, there was bee poop on the snow, so I figured all was well. The amount of dead bees increased and the hive went quiet.
It took a while for the snow to melt enough that I could take the hive apart. Here's what I found:
These are the frames from the brood box: