Total Noob

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by LunacyMountain, Oct 26, 2012.

1. LunacyMountain

LunacyMountain New Member

Hey everyone...I'm a total beginner, I've been on a bunch of sites and forums over the past few months and I've decided to land ship over here on this forum board..hopefully I won't cause too much ruckus while I'm around...but anyways back to the introduction....

I've been meeting up with a local beekeeper, who's family has been keeping for over 70 years and doing rounds with him at his honey fields and his nursery fields...learning all my basics about safety and hive components and working with the bees instead of against them..last week we feed a lot of poor hives that didn't look like they had enough honey stores for the winter..we winterized about 40 hives by switching to top feeders inside a hive body and adding entrance reducers and did full inspections on any hives that had any signs of hive beetles or other pests....

that's about all my on hands experience at the moment, I'm taking the winter to obtain the rest of my beekeeping tools. I all ready have all my protective gear and a smoker and hive tool....

we have extensive flower and veggie gardens plus fruit trees around the house and I will be planting a mix of 5 diff types of clover around the hive location....the hives have a radius of about 3/4 mile old growth forest then about 1/4 mile of new growth then a few wild fields
    there is a pond about 1/2 mile from the hives and a small creek closer than that

I plan on starting out with 3 hives in the spring...custom 9 frame box's -two deep hive bodies for each hive.....

well that's about it for now...

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Welcome to the forum,looks like you've got a plan:thumbsup: we have some members on the forum in your neck of the woods. One real old beekeeper named Iddee, look him up.:grin: Jack

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I like the name and welcome.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

welcome to the forum, happy trails, learn, enjoy, bees, fun!
    nothing better! :wave:

5. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome LauncyMountain, glad to have you with us, a good mentor to start out with is great.

kebee

6. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome :hi:

You have been fortunate to have had the opportunity to learn first and spend second.
    Glad you found this friendly part of the beekeeping community.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Welcome. What part of NC. It's a wide state, from ocean to mountain top.

9. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Welcome and enjoy your stay! :)

10. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Welcome to the site, glad to have you here. Jim

11. blueblood

blueblood New Member

12. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Great intro. Welcome to the forum!:wave:

13. LunacyMountain

Thanks for all the warm welcomes....I'm located in the southern part of the state just north east of charlotte...anyone know of any good apiarist stores around the area I could visit?

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I've heard there is a guy in Charlotte, but have no info on him. Triad bee supply is in the High Point area, about 60 miles up I-85 from Charlotte. Busy Bee in near Raleigh, and Brushy Mountain, Miller, Reel, and Orr are in the western part of NC near I-40.

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

:hi:Greetings to you, mountaineer. You sound like you're well on the way to being a professional--plenty of hands on experience. Your plans to start in the spring with three hives sounds well thought-out. You will undoubtedly be a great addition to the forum. :thumbsup:

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome to the forum LM :hi:

Sounds like you have a good mentor to show you the ropes and get started. Nothing better than hands on experience!

17. Marbees

Marbees Member

Welcome to the most civillized beekeeping forum LM, enjoy:thumbsup:

18. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I missed when you joined. Late but welcome to the forum and congratulations on your 2 new package installs.

19. LunacyMountain

all right update time, so I did my installs at my mentors house and let the hives sit there until now letting the foundationless combs become a little more solid. I've been going up there to check on the hives and see how production has been going...but now they are finally homey.!!! sooo I fed them syrup to start because it was still cold here and there wasn't anything really blooming yet, but now they have been coming off the syrup since the temps have stabilized some and tons of flora is in bloom now. Each hive did 2 frames of drone comb to start with and have been producing smaller cell combs since, 2 frames in each hive are also double combs or have some crazy layout going on. So since I didn't have any drawn comb or capped comb to start with as guides, I'm now going to harvest the drone comb frames for wax, after letting the hives rob the honey, and slowly start new frames from the center of the hive out. my plan is to place a blank wired frame in the middle between two capped frames they built from scratch and slowly eliminate the double combs as the box fills back out. so my question is what is the best way to eliminate the double comb frames without harming the bee population? my first thought was to put down a Queen excluder and add another hive body and move up the one or two double comb frames that are going to be eliminated and let all the brood hatch out before cycling them out of the box. any other ideas or comments on my current plan? I'd love to hear some input...

20. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Nice to hear you are up and running! Yeehaw! Have you found yourself wanting to sit and watch them every day? I will leave an answer to your question to a more experienced keep. But, when you say "double combs," do you mean the bees have connected two sides of the drawn comb together?