Tough bee tree

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Bens-Bees, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Took a call for a bee tree removal, oak tree came crashing down with hive in it and tree crew sprayed the bees with something but it didn't kill them so they went home. This tree is heavy as heck... and the wood is so solid that the brand new chainsaw I bought just for this, stripped it's gears before I could finish cutting down the first chunk to a liftable size. Ugh, this is gonna be one heck of an ordeal to get the bees... fortunately I can return the chain saw, but it's unlikely that the store will have another one to swap it with after our storms. I'm thinking I'm going to try pushing them out one side of each section of log they are in by spraying bee-quick in the other side then vacuuming them up... that way I don't have to try lifting this thing. It's not fully hollow like most others are, only about 1/2 of the log is hollow the other side is solid, wet hardwood and heavy as iron.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"A" for effort Ben! :thumbsup:

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

No pics?

Be careful with that heavy chunk of wood, not worth getting hurt over a few bees.

4. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

What chainsaw did you buy that stripped gears on the first use? Was your chain sharp? Have you used a chainsaw before? Just curiosity questions for the most part. We have been cutting wood for years and I haven't seen a stripped gear on a saw. :-(

I recommend Stihl.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I'll second that.
    Dad ran those "pull on its" for years, wife got tired of hearing me cuss up a blue streak and bought me a stihl, never looked back.