Tough days at the market!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by PerryBee, Nov 6, 2013.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Just finished my 3rd day at the weekly market in Kentville (neighbouring town).
    It is going to be a long haul to hang in there it's soooooo slow this time of year. Trying to establish a presence, but it's tough.
    After table fees it's pretty meager. :sad:

Rabbit 006.jpg

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

what do they charge there for 'table fee'?

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

4. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Very nice professional looking display. Hang in there. With your packaging and the upcoming holidays, things are sure to get busier. Good luck.

Walt

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Good looking display!

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

there are several important things to keep in mind while personally marketing your product. I have found the primary thing folks look for is that want to buy honey from a real beekeeper (and not someone who simply puts sweet stuff in a jar who's origin is almost always now suspect). Engage the customer's directly but don't be shy about directing folks that just want to talk bees off to the side of the table so the buying customers can still see your product. Some light from the back side of the table really gives honey a sparkle (most of the time I set up outside and I am a bit particular to set up my table with the sunshine coming from behind the table). An observation hive is a cheap trick that brings in a lot of children and their father's who alway carry the money < and if the young'ens are mesmerized enough dad almost always feels compelled to buy a jar < like I said a cheap trick but none the less something that does draw in a crowd.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Looks like my buddy perry out done his self:thumbsup: Nice display. Like tec said an observation hive will draw a crowd, another thing that draws them in (the children) is honey sticks, they can spot them 100 ft. away and almost always sells a jar of honey to mom or dad. Jack

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

very nice display perry, and like everyone else has said, hang in there. the honey stix like jack said do attract kids. i don't do farmer's markets, but in the fall i sell out the front door on the roadway in front of the house.

in the beginning i had a lot of traffic because i had hives near the roadway (still do). everyone could see my hives, (painted different colors) and curiosity or honey lovers brought them and neighbors stopped to buy my honey. then it slowed a bit. a neighbor built an upscale outdoor restaurant. people would fly by. so i used a colorful umbrella, and colorful signs on the roadway from each direction. i also use hive body fronts painted different colors, you know, stacked, glued and nailed together that attracts interest, and this worked, still does and is kinda cool looking. i just get crappy hive body parts from my local supplier that they can't sell, paint them in bright colors, glue and support them together to resemble a hive, you know, like 2 deep body fronts and a couple super fronts, painted in bright colors. it works. the other thing that works to attract attention is a helmet and veil, or a smoker on the table. kids love to try the helmet and veil on, and want to know how the smoker works, or a hive tool, things we take for granted, you know mystery tools to them. but gives you an edge to sell honey and how it works. the other thing i do is give simple recipes away with my sales, that's not an attractor, but people tell me they love the recipes i give them with the honey sale. also, they love to try lip balm. i have many repeat customers, but it just takes time......:grin:

i know most of what i said doesn't apply to you, but maybe try something on your table to attract attention to you more so than others, something that stands out and is different than the rest? :grin:

9. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Up here it comes down to number of people thru the markets at this time of year. After the fruits and vegetables are done for the season those venders no longer go to the market and people revert back to buying their produce in the supermarket. The public attending the market becomes sparse and it hard to sell to people that aren't there. Check in your area and see if there are any special Christmas markets you could attend they are usually only one or 2 day markets but are held indoors and run the entire day and generally provide good sales and are profitable even tho the price per table is more expensive.

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I won't repeat what's been said except "hang on there". When your presence becomes regular, people will know to come to you intentionally for a top line product. Of course there's nothing wrong with just "happening" on buying a jar of honey or bee products, but if you're a regular, those who want honey will save their purchases for you, knowing that you'll be around to supply their needs. You might also advertise the benefits of giving "real" honey to others as a special gift item. Often people will catch the idea and it should increase your sales. Your attractive botttling makes it a great gift item.
    If you collect propolis, you might want to offer it, with a page in information about its benefits and uses for the "naturalists" in your region---it is a bee product too often unavailable for purchase.

11. Marbees

Marbees Member

This is a great idea:thumbsup:

Yesterday was the last day of the Royal Winter Fair, here in Toronto. Had to wait to take the picture of this observation hive.
    Heads of children and adults were blocking the view, all the time.

FOR PERRY.jpg

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I especially like the name given to the photo when you click on it. :wink: :thumbsup:

13. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"I especially like the name given to the photo when you click on it."

.......:lol: me too marbees!
    thanks for the great photo!