Tracheal mites in Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Dec 9, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:cry:

Just got an email from our Provincial Bee Health Advisor:

There has been a detection of Tracheal Mites in an Apiary up here in Nova Scotia. They are asking all beeks within a 25 K radius to send in a sample of 100 bees per hive from 25% their hives to be tested.
    While I realize that Tracheal Mites are no longer the major threat they were at one time, it was nice knowing (for a while anyways) that it was something we didn't have to concern ourselves about up here.
    The world gets smaller every day doesn't it? :roll:

2. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

With CCD quickly fading, magically, renewed "problems" of other pest and disease will be found. Some bee labs and university departments have doubled and tripled in the past several years. And they must find, justify, and may I say "create" other ways of funding future expenses and research.

The goose is laying the last of the golden eggs. Now it's a scramble to replace those eggs. :roll: It is all pretty predictable.

3. Marbees

Marbees Member

Perry, how much they charge for the testing, or the province pays for it?

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

As far as I can tell, the province is picking up the tab. They are requesting samples from all known beekeepers in the area. They are requesting 100 bees from the underside of your inner covers if possible, (least disruptive to your hive) they will be older bees more likely infected if tracheal mites are present. 100 bees per hive (25% of hives) placed in baggie and frozen until collected. Tests being carried out in Greenwood N.S. and positive results sent to Beltsville Maryland for independant verification. If your hives are already wrapped, spring will do.
    The area is up near where Nova Scotia is linked to New Brunswick by the Tantramar marshes. New Brunswick has tracheal mites.
    I'm a long ways away but this will travel.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

i would guess Perry that you are better off knowing about possible trachael mites in your area than in wandering around the woods being totally ignorant of the problem as seem to be the preferred path of some bee keepers? it would seem to me that the information would be highly valuable when it come to future decisions made by you in regards to the bees you do keep?

obviously some folks can tabulate the $ benefits when it directly applies to them while the $ identifying other folks problems is government waste.

and finally if any one does actually KNOW of a university or lab that has actually (no pure speculation or media hyped assumptions allowed here) increase by 2 or 3 fold then I have a good list of qualified applicant that would very much like to send their resumes in that direction.

due to the above mention sentiment of folk here we now have no functional bee lab here in Texas. quite a loss for those of us who would rather KNOW than be driven by misinformation and fear.

6. Marbees

Marbees Member

I don't think it should be a big concern for you.
    However if some results come positive,maybe you should consider getting some buckfast queens.
    No tracheal mites with those bees. Just a thought.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I haven't kept as up to date as I probably should have regarding tracheal mites, we had them in B.C. when I first started keeping bees and standard treatment back then was menthol soaked cardboard placed on top of your top bars. When we moved to N.S. and found out that they didn't exist here I became complacent about it I guess.
    In casual reading I had picked up here and there that tracheal mites are becoming less of a threat due to breeding for resistance. Guess I should have been paying closer attention! :oops:

8. ShaneVBS

ShaneVBS New Member

sorry to here perry hopefully they will not find enough to worry about